Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach

To old for the club i mean tournament.

Over here in Florida being a steady competitor in the masters4 or senior division is never consistent. Did a tournament last week and we were the last to go. 6 people signed up for the masters advance nogi but when it was finally called I was the only old goat still there. I ended up going against a score keeper just so I could get a fight. Has any other XX club members had this happen before? Another common occurrence is being lumped in with much higher weight classes or lower belts. I may start doing the adult bracket just so I can get some consistency.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa, CA
    Men's masters is like everyday women's bracket. Take what you can get. I am almost always combined. I competed today and had NO women. I had to roll men's blue in gi (first time competing in the gi) and men's advanced in no gi. WTF!! But it's just one of those things... I would rather get my ass whopped than not compete at all.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael Kaulig View Post
    Men's masters is like everyday women's bracket. Take what you can get. I am almost always combined. I competed today and had NO women. I had to roll men's blue in gi (first time competing in the gi) and men's advanced in no gi. WTF!! But it's just one of those things... I would rather get my ass whopped than not compete at all.
    that sucks but how did you go?

and just adding an even worse scenario in. at least you have regular competitions over there. we have two a year. so called national tournaments....

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    that sucks but how did you go?

and just adding an even worse scenario in. at least you have regular competitions over there. we have two a year. so called national tournaments....
    I took a whoppin!! but I would rather be on the mats than sitting on the couch.

And as for tournaments here, I drive an average of a 8-12 hour round trip to compete, and hope to get a few matches but places like California are different, there have tournaments all the time. Yesterday's tournament was a local one hence no females at all in my bracket. I am driving 12 hours next weekend to compete.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Same thing happens to me. I'm old and small, so I almost always end up fighting the open with a 19-20 year old. Guess it really doesn't matter, just like to roll. It would be nice to see how I stack up to someone my own size and weight though.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Yup, last comp I got moved from the 174-190 to the 224+ weight-wise and from Intermediate to Advanced experience. Normally this would not have bothered me as I just would have walked, but when I asked if there would be enough guys to have divisions before paying my money to pre-reg the promoter told me "it would be no problem" and that "they had over 100 people pre-registered". I get there and it turned out there were less than 40 competitors.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    At 43 years of age and fighting at 64 kg BROWN belt division, there are no competitors that are willing to show up and roll. They'll roll in the gi but not no gi, its ridonkulous!!

So what do you do? I competed last December in the 190+ brown belt division and came out with more injuries in one day than I did in the entire 2013!

Up to you. I love competing but to get a fair fight these days is a thing of the past.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael Kaulig View Post
    So true. It's like a box of chocolates competing in the women's division. Everyone likes it but you really have no idea what you'll get stuck with. I say jump in the Adult's division Kevin!! If you feel comfortable that is. I don't think I have ever competed against someone that was exactly my size, I still scrap and manage to do ok. Get reps in on your game plan, go compete and execute. I think you could dominate if you put your mind to it. Even in Adult's division. :-)

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    I feel your pain as well... I competed in a tournament just recently and had 2 people in the masters beginners division, none in the intermediate and 2 in the advanced. There was quite a few there for the GI but after it was finished they were gone!

add Super Heavy Weight to the mix and it gets even more rare. Not too many Mens, No Gi, Masters/Directors, Intermediate, Super Heavy's.

I compete against anyone that will roll with me. Last tourney I went with the regular intermed men's 189 and above bracket got 5 matches in but my wins didn't count towards a medal because of my weight advantage (which was fine with me, just glad I was able to compete).

Lol, the next closest person to my weight at that tourney was a female 230lber Feel bad for the women around here, they rarely have more than 5 total women at any given tourney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast