Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Combat Society

Knee reaping/twisting question

During rolling tonight I was mounted and tried the Guantanamo escape (hooking opponents right foot with my right foot and turning body to face opponent) and my partner (blue belt) told me not to twist his knee cos it hurt like hell and is illegal in IBJJF rules (the ruleset used for most European comps). I guess he means when I've trapped his foot and am trying to slide my left leg underneath it torques his knee. Is this true? I'm aware of the knee reaping rule and the illegality of knee reaping but does it count when you're hooking a foot and trying to regain quarter guard/half guard? Our instructor wasn't there to ask today so just wondered if anyone had any insight.

Thanks. Pan.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    No. It's not a sub. You're not reaping. He may be confused as BJJ guys are uber terrified of leg locks for some reason. So anything that makes their legs uncomfortable is illegal. You'll have some guys complain about lockdown being a calf crush.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Thats not considered reaping and wouldnt be illegal in any competition. It might make his knee uncomfortable but its def not a sub
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Combat Society
    Thanks, guys. I didn't think it would be illegal but you never know with IBJJF rules and stuff being illegal jus "cos". Is this considered a douchey move like digging your elbows into your opponent's thighs to break their guard? I don't use it just to cause knee pain but in fairness a lot of stuff in jiu jitsu is done to make opponents uncomfortable and to elicit a desired reaction. Nobody wants to be the class douche though.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Rip his shit off next time.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10WO
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that this could be Zog's answer for most of, if not all, of life's problems =]

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Clark View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that this could be Zog's answer for most of, if not all, of life's problems =]
    Not true...........sometimes I like to squeeze shit until it pops. All depends on my mood.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Not true...........sometimes I like to squeeze shit until it pops. All depends on my mood.
    Nice attitude.

Array

School
    Spartan Club Ireland
    hahahaha! I was hoping Chris Herzog was going to reply to this!
    Try this next time he mounts you!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    Thanks, guys. I didn't think it would be illegal but you never know with IBJJF rules and stuff being illegal jus "cos". Is this considered a douchey move like digging your elbows into your opponent's thighs to break their guard? I don't use it just to cause knee pain but in fairness a lot of stuff in jiu jitsu is done to make opponents uncomfortable and to elicit a desired reaction. Nobody wants to be the class douche though.
    Not a douchey move at all. Legitimate escape.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast