Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I've been grabbing with thumb lately after seeing a Lister video about it but I used to just do a no thumb grip (flipper grip?)
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I've been grabbing with thumb lately after seeing a Lister video about it but I used to just do a no thumb grip (flipper grip?)
    I don't like using the thumb. I find that the bigger, wider feet I don't have as good a grip on, but the smaller feet its superior the the "flipper grip" as you call it (no thumbs). So this is why is prefer the no thumbs grip all the time, it's more consistent, and works better on the folks I need it most on (big strong legs and feet). Zog? You have any wisdom here on the toe hold grip?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ray View Post
    I don't like using the thumb. I find that the bigger, wider feet I don't have as good a grip on, but the smaller feet its superior the the "flipper grip" as you call it (no thumbs). So this is why is prefer the no thumbs grip all the time, it's more consistent, and works better on the folks I need it most on (big strong legs and feet). Zog? You have any wisdom here on the toe hold grip?
    I prefer the no thumb grip myself, it just feels better. I have bad wrists, any time I separate my thumb from my fingers while gripping its much weaker.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ray View Post
    Sooo. Toeholds? Lets discuss toe hold philosophy..

I personally apply the toe hold 2 different ways. One attacks the ankle joint, the other twists the knee, like a heel-hook. Obviously one is much better for competition an the other is much safer for class rolls.

So, I know how I do it and I know how zog teaches it.. But. I wanted to see what you guys think. Do you grab the toes using your thumb or no thumb grip?

Obviously the arm that holds yor own wrist is no thumbs. But I have seen many a a leglock masters say different stuff about how to grip the foot... Thoughts?
    I apply both ways as well. I like to use the thumb when I do a rolling toe hold or electric toe hold I feel it gives me a little more control but if I am in twister side or russian cowboy where I scoop the foot more I dont mind no thumb.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Scott R, and Scott Ray. Hmm. Scott R, I would love if you could put your full last name. It's confusing for me, I read your post and was like "I don't remember posting this". Lol. If its confusing for me I'm sure it is really confusing for the non-Scott's.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Lol. I saw a lot of great leg locks this past weekend. Oddly enough not a single person went after my feet
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I use no thumbs on the toe hold. It's easier to roll my wrists forward and create that sprained ankle motion that way. Same grip as a kimura, in my opinion.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I use no thumbs on the toe hold. It's easier to roll my wrists forward and create that sprained ankle motion that way. Same grip as a kimura, in my opinion.
    I've been told my entire Jiu Jitsu "career" not to use the thumb on the Kimura but I do everytime. Is there a reason not to? Seems more secure to me to grab that wrist
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I've been told my entire Jiu Jitsu "career" not to use the thumb on the Kimura but I do everytime. Is there a reason not to? Seems more secure to me to grab that wrist
    There is a HUGE reason to use it
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    There is a HUGE reason to use it
    I get it Zog. You have a huge hog. Jeez
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast