Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Superhero Academy BJJ

White Belt Needs Tips

As an under 6 month white belt I have been struggling finding a submission I feel comfortable with other than something that is wide open or a crank, etc.

I was hoping I could get some tips or theories to help me find a submission I am comfortable with. I know many people will say repetition will bring this result but I was hoping someone would have some other advice.

Thanks for reading and any help given.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    I would say just keep trying/looking for new techniques until you find something you're comfortable with! We had a guy in the gym that had a hard time finding what worked for him, but after he did he's been killing it. Same w me, took a while to find a game I liked..and even now it's still growing and constantly changing. Just keep pushing forward. You will find what you need when you need it. :-)

Array

School
    Superhero Academy BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Applegate View Post
    I would say just keep trying/looking for new techniques until you find something you're comfortable with! We had a guy in the gym that had a hard time finding what worked for him, but after he did he's been killing it. Same w me, took a while to find a game I liked..and even now it's still growing and constantly changing. Just keep pushing forward. You will find what you need when you need it. :-)
    Thanks for the encouraging words.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Brown View Post
    Thanks for the encouraging words.
    Yw! When you hit a slump just keep pushing and trying new stuff or try to revamp a position you already like! That's the best way to not quit. :-)

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Dude, I've only been training for a little over a year, so what do I know. But in all honesty, figuring out the submissions is something that you should just let happen naturally. The biggest advancement, by far, in my game came around 8-9 months in, just after my first tournament. I had recently started training at the Fl HB under the Woolsey's. I learned that, for me, it's waaaaay more important to learn how to just flow from position to position, stay comfortable (even when being smashed), breathe in a controlled manner, and be truly thoughtful about the happenings going on in the roll. After these things became a priority, and I started to get the hang of just trying to be fluid, I started hitting arm bars left and right on guys my skill and lower. Now I have a go to submission.

But like I said, I don't know much, so I'm probably wrong

Array

School
    Superhero Academy BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    Dude, I've only been training for a little over a year, so what do I know. But in all honesty, figuring out the submissions is something that you should just let happen naturally. The biggest advancement, by far, in my game came around 8-9 months in, just after my first tournament. I had recently started training at the Fl HB under the Woolsey's. I learned that, for me, it's waaaaay more important to learn how to just flow from position to position, staying comfortable (even when bring smashed), breathing in a controlled manner, and being truly thoughtful about the happenings going on in the roll. After these things became a priority, and I started to get the hang of just trying to be fluid, I started hitting arm bars left and right on guys my skill and lower. Now I have a go to submission.

But like I said, I don't know much, so I'm probably wrong
    Yeah I see what you're saying for sure. I am trying to accomplish all of those things but it gets frustrating sometimes when you don't have something to lean on.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Keep it simple then: get to mount, attack americanas and kimoras. Focus on transitioning

Array

School
    Ronin
    I'd say don't freak if something doesn't work perfectly or at all for a while. that's what the gym and your training partners are there for. its better for you to learn and wrinkle out all the mistakes in that environment than the heat of competition. just stick with it and you'll find your groove eventually.
    Facebook, Twitter check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pheonix00789
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Pheonix_00789
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/phoenix_00789

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    breathe in a controlled manner, and be truly thoughtful about the happenings going on in the roll.
    this x10

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Develop a strong over hook and under hook game and you'll see a difference in how many arm attacks and chokes there are. Don't over think it. Just flow with it. The submission is great and it's something you should always hunt for but it's how you get to the submission that makes it beautiful. The game of cat and mouse is where the art comes from in my opinion and how clean your technique is. But who the fuck am I, I'm just a blue belt. Stick with it man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast