Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    This morning Cora got to go to Werdum's Kings MMA in Huntington Beach to train with our friend Kaiyana Rain and the 1st thing she said to Cora was that she can do whatever she wants and even her rubber guard. Just hearing that warms my heart as to how open she is... 15 minutes later Matt Horwich came walking in with his guitar...LOL

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    high guard>standard full guard regardless if youre doing rubber guard or not. Its completely ignorant for him to say it doesnt work
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    If not for 10thplanet JJ, she would really get destroyed by all those boys a long time ago and would probably quit the sport like many who have come before her
    Same here Bruce, the only reason I hung with as many kids as I did when I started back in 2011 was the system (Lockdown, dogfight) and then recently getting the feel for Twister and SpiderWeb. If I had only the basic old school jitsu, I prob would've doubted myself alot more and while I dont think I would quit, I def would've wanted to skip more often then not. I also agree with ur point on making sure Cora can defend herself in a streetfight, I don't want to train just for points either.

In so far as sport jiu jitsu competition is concerned I would not dismiss the coach's comments out of hand.

From what I have seen modern sports jiu jitsu at least as currently developed by the Mendes/Miyao brothers frequently assumes a leg to leg engagement/entanglement with the opponent followed by attacks with DLR/RDLR/berimbolos and leg locks.

It is not that the RG does not work but more that current sports jiu jitsu players do not seem to be sitting in closed guard or attempting to pass through a position where a clinch/the RG is going to be possible.

I suspect that if I wished to compete in sports jiu jitsu I would be at a serious disadvantage if my school did not have players who were seriously good at what appears to be the modern style of passing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterm View Post
    In so far as sport jiu jitsu competition is concerned I would not dismiss the coach's comments out of hand.

From what I have seen modern sports jiu jitsu at least as currently developed by the Mendes/Miyao brothers frequently assumes a leg to leg engagement/entanglement with the opponent followed by attacks with DLR/RDLR/berimbolos and leg locks.

It is not that the RG does not work but more that current sports jiu jitsu players do not seem to be sitting in closed guard or attempting to pass through a position where a clinch/the RG is going to be possible.

I suspect that if I wished to compete in sports jiu jitsu I would be at a serious disadvantage if my school did not have players who were seriously good at what appears to be the modern style of passing.
    10th planet is a clinch based style of grappling. We clinch from everywhere, lockdown is a clinch and you can get to rubber/prison guard straight from that clinched lockdown half. Plenty of half guard still going on in sport jj. That's just 1 example..

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Dlr & rdlr aka spiral guard have been in the system for about 3 years now or so. I was even opening my seminars with these guards a couple years ago. Look at warm ups H, it's all in there. You don't have to beat me over the head with it to convince me to inject it into the system. I love nogi berimbolos & spiral sweeps. But I will always try to establish the running first (clinch), passing game second (open). Keeping my opponent's offense on the sidelines will always be my plan A
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

I am not arguing against clinching or the RG.

I train submission grappling out of a MMA gym and the clinch game against an opponent who attacks through the guard is still very relevant.

My comments related specfically to what appears to be a trend in sports jiu jitsu of which the Mendes and Miyao brothers are arguably the most visible proponents to engage in a leg entaglement game if seated or leg drag if standing. They do not attack on their knees or through the guard and with their style you will not easily be able to clinch and use RG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12