Array

School
    Next Generation Ballymena / 10th Planet Ronin

A Gi Question...

Any counters to when an opponent grabs both labels with one hand, straightens his arm and attempts to pin you there with it...becomes a nightmare in quarter guard and the opportunity of them getting a gi choke is even greater and makes it much harder to use your underhook to go up to dogfight

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    But you're on your side with his foot trapped?

I would move before he establishes grips. Keep him off your lapel and defend his underhook. When he opens up punch a deep underhook all at once. Base on your head and shoulder and fancy feet to dogfight.

Watch for darces. Don't let him connect his hands.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein View Post
    take the gi off silly.
    I know

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    But you're on your side with his foot trapped?

I would move before he establishes grips. Keep him off your lapel and defend his underhook. When he opens up punch a deep underhook all at once. Base on your head and shoulder and fancy feet to dogfight.

Watch for darces. Don't let him connect his hands.
    I thought it wouldnt matter either...but its weird...really does work for pinning me to the mats. definitely think i need to be quicker off the mark :/

Array

School
    Combat Society
    I remember watching a Ryan Hall video where he says something like letting a good grappler establish his grips without establishing any of your own is the beginning of the end. I don't have any advice for this position particularly but from my limited experience not letting people get dominant grips is the first thing you should worry about. It's not as horrendous nogi but when you mess up step 1 in the gi against someone good you're often going down a route you can't get out of.

I'd worry more about your legs - rather than going for dogfight, put a butterfly hook in and get the butterfly guard back, then his straight arm becomes a risk of arm bar for him.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    I'd worry more about your legs - rather than going for dogfight, put a butterfly hook in and get the butterfly guard back, then his straight arm becomes a risk of arm bar for him.
    Its more from quarter guard where it becomes a problem..so im guessing I should get lockdown asap then butterfly?

Depends what sort of game you play, but I'm always looking to get back to butterfly or full guard - I don't personally like hanging out in lockdown/half guard positions.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I really can't describe it well, but it is something I learned a long time ago. Geni your two arms in the crook of his elbow, do a crunch to bend his arm and try to push it to your feet. When his elbow is bent 90 deg and his forearm is flat to you stomach, swim your arm over his arm to underhook or his opposite lapel. He still has the grip but it is an underhook lapel grab with elbow bent. If you do it correct his hand will be stuck in your armpit leaving him no base on that side. Then it is just a plan b/ whip back type sweep to that side. I would threaten a weak cross collar choke from 1/4 guard and pull him down flat on top of you threaten the sweep as you then mini-stomp to lockdown. Most peoples triceps are not strong enough to keep the arm straight while you use your two arm to push at the elbow.