Array

School
    Next Generation Ballymena / 10th Planet Ronin

Butterfly Guard Sprawl Pass

So got hit by this pass a couple of times whilst grappling last night and also even when going for half guard but that's a lot easier to stop.

Was sitting in the cocoon in butterfly (overhook and the clinch with the head) but he still managed to hit it by going under my legs s-grippng his hands together, squeezing my legs (as near to knees as possible) together and sprawling out and passing to side control....which he couldn't really get since I was pushing him away from me by c-cupping his closest arm to stop him getting side control.

Looking for tips on stopping him from doing this. Was thinking I should replace the head clinch with an underhook and should keep my overhook tighter? We should keep his upper torso further from my legs Or even just don't give him a chance to settle and get the grip for the pass?

Any thoughts or advice guys?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Maybe make the angle between your knees more obtuse so that they cannot easily squeeze them together to pass? I know that the guys at my gym (pretty beastly with butterflies) generally are pretty "open" with their butterfly hooks.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I used to use this pass a lot. Threaten with guillotines to get him to posture up. Keep your knees wide. Those simple things shut my pass down. I'm forced to try another pass.

And when I say guillotine it doesn't have to be a full blown guillotine. Just get a wrist under the chin and upright row. If you get your chest against the back of his head, you might even finish it. But it's more to prevent the sprawl than to get the tap. It's simple, but it's worked on me. Also flaring your knees apart makes it a lot harder to get under your legs and squeeze them together.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    sounds like he was using the buttock compressor pass on you. What I've been teaching my daughter to do if someone use the buttock compressor or double under pass is to threaten with the ninja choke or like David Rosado said, the guillotine, the way that Marcelo Garica does it. Let me try to find the video for you.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    check out the 5:30 mark

i would first say don't let him get his left arm (side you have head control on) together with his right arm (preventative measure). this will get easier as you get more proficient going for the jean jacques sweep (you will get used to controlling that wrist as soon as you get to the cocoon).

if he does get his hands together i will sometimes release the overhook with my left hand and frame on his head/temple and shrimp your hips out to the left so his head is now on your right side. it is CRUCIAL that you aren't trying to muscle his head away too much, think about just keeping his head in place while you move yourself to the left.

it is a bit similar to what bj is doing here (though the opponent doesn't have his hands together and because his opponent is floating it is easier to push rather than frame and shrimp to the left).

Array

School
    Next Generation Ballymena / 10th Planet Ronin
    Cheers guys some nice advice!

Especially gotta try marcelos and BJ's defences to the buttock compressor