Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Um... It seems like he is talking about a valid option. He's talking about the same arm-bar Cio Terra does from half guard with the kimora grip I assume? Seems like you would have to remove the leg side leg first, but other than that, really valid. Your ignoring a valid move I think, ask him about it. Why not learn his option also? Then call it "armbar from reverse spiderweb" or something and still be working that deadzone. Then after hes happy because you've done that for a few weeks, you can work other options too if you like... That's what I'd try... Seems like he's a cool guy that doesn't mean any disrespect...

That said, all the above advise is cool too

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    He's your teacher. Don't dismiss what he's showing you bc you only want to do 10p stuff. Jiu Jitsu is Jiu Jitsu..there only exists things that are functional or not functional for you. There is only an easy or a hard way to do things. He's being open minded towards your style so check out his. Idk how many times Sean has showed us something I extremely dislike and it ends up fitting in my game really well and I can chain it with my other go to stuff.

Practice both. I doubt he is going to tell you to not go to that position, he doesn't sound like that kind of guy.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    cobra kai
    I think there is some misunderstanding with my OP, during my roll session, I hit the rsw from top half.

When troubling shooting with my instructor, I was doing it armbar from side control.

From side control, I got the Kimura grip, got my leg over the head, proceeded to get my other leg over, that's when he stopped me and told me that's not a good finishing position and then told me to go for the armbar.

Anyways, I'm gonna keep working on the rsw, but I'm also gonna explore the arm bar as well. But it's just like Nathan orchard said, guys have become so good at defending the arm bar, that's why I want to work on the rsw, because guys are gonna think you can't finish the Kimura.

And it's not that I don't want to listen to my instructor, I just want to know what to do in the future if he corrects my positioning when going for the rsw, especially if I'll be competing and asking him to review my game plan.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123