Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec

Getting the twister roll

I have trouble getting the twister (aka ninja i think) roll with out ending up in halfgaurd with the guy on top of me. Is there any tips or links to MTS that can help me? I don't want my instructors thinking that the twister doesn't work. I'm trying my best to use the 10p stuff as much as possible but I fell like I should give up on it for a while, and I already have.

I've tried not switching to the lockdown to see if it helps, it didn't work (or maybe I didn't try it that way enough) I tried doing the twister roll with the grapevine already in, and I fcked that one up too.. I tried it at least 8 times so far, I even drilled it a bit too.

Any tips would be much appreciated, I want to get people interested in 10p in my region and its a goal of mine to open peoples minds to the system and educate them about what it really is about rather than the bullshit we hear sometimes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Gotta be sneaky when you go for the samurai roll. The guy on bottom can feel you, don't look back when you do it. It will give you away. Roll tighter and grab the toes (on the foot that's not grapevined) so you land in the truck. That is my favorite escape to use the momentum from the samurai roll to get top half then pass. You have to grab the toes as you roll, then fight from there for the twister. Also, normally your legs are in a triangle position when you roll from 3/4 mount and grab the toes...

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    You need to drill it more than 8 times....

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Yes. Drill way more when your not free rolling so the move is more muscle memory than conscious thought. It's hard to say what you doing wrong without details or a video. A common mistake is you want to be rolling towards their feet.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Are you attempting from twister-side or 3/4 mount?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Bro, I still don't pull off twisters very often or at all. There's soooo much to the system man. Starting off with the holy grail of tenth planet is a path destined for sucking at it for quite some time before you're able to legitimately and consistently threaten with it and pull it off.

What I have done is get my half guard game as honed as possible. Better be comfortable in a traditionally "disadvantaged" position and be able to use it offensively than have no ace in the hole. First, gotta get the right lockdown squeeze; knees squeezing together, tight, and the ankle lock extended. Second, gotta get used to readjusting the lockdown by using the knee squeeze to climb up your opponent's leg. Third, get the jaws of life down pat. Fourth, gotta get that whip going; I was taught that if you can get that lockdown slapped on, your opponent should not only be in trouble, but should feel that they are; basically, use it to screw up their balance. Fifth, learn the Omaha whip for larger guys. Finally, learn and perfect PERFECT double unders. After that, the sweeps are much easier to learn.

This is a battle. You will get crushed. But the payoff is golden. It's very comforting knowing that I have 8-9 sweeps waiting for me in the lockdown. Having that base has allowed me to open up with other areas of my game without worrying about losing position. I go against purple belts that try to avoid my half guard

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    This used to happen to me when I had no idea what I was doing and I was just emulating youtube.

If you're looking for the truck, make sure you're maintaining control of the other leg before you roll. I prefer on hand on the shin near the ankle, the other hand cupping the toes. Or you can use the wrestler grip from fishnet.

If you're trying to take the back, it's not often that they'll land in your lap. They might just end up on all fours so you wanna be ready to sit up and take the back with the seatbelt grip.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Spalla View Post
    You need to drill it more than 8 times....
    Lol.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Grab that other foot when you are going for the roll.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Where are you twister rolling from? I can't picture how you're ending up in half guard.

Are you rolling over the wrong shoulder?? That would most def put you in bottom half. If you're in twister side on their right side you should be Rollin over your left shoulder. If you roll over your right you'll basically pull them right into half.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast