Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Woot!! I'm glad this thread took off!

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    what do you think is the most udervalued strike in mma?

effectiveness of short elbows used in GnP?

(i know this is controversial and depends a lot as to who is doing it) but best striking style suited for mma?
    The jab. The tiny gloves make a jab much more damaging than with boxing gloves. Also, with the small gloves, straight punches, cross as well as jab, are much more effective because they are much harder to block. People need to throw more straights.

Best style is a Dutch hybrid or modified Dutch style. For sure.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    For beginners stance and footwork are the single most important tool to develop.

Footwork can be the path to success, or it can be the route to all failure. If your footwork is well developed but your upper body movements are less refined it can help auto correct your upper body's movement (punches, defense, etc). If your upper is solid but your footwork is horrible it can corrupt your upper body and cause drastic over compensations (leaning, over extending, poor judge of range, etc.)

We place heavy emphasis on stance replacement, as the core component of footwork.

I was hoping footwork would come up. Footwork is to kickboxing what hip position is to jiujitsu...

Array

School
    10th planet HQ
    This is my 64 year old trainer, Richard Batin, from Myanmar (Burma). They fight practically bare knuckled with head butts.. 56 years of Thai boxing experience .. He's the man .

Array

School
    10th planet HQ
    Holding pad for me a couple years back.. Finding a great trainer you trust and consistency is the fastest way too improve

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    One of the coolest things I came across was watching videos in slow motion of the top mma knockout guys a couple years back. People think they are just brawling and hit hard but when you watch them over and over you can catch the tiny angles they are taking on people. I kept wonding why guys like Chuck Liddell, Wanderlei, Tokanori Gomi, and etc were knocking guys out with what looked like similar techniques over and over again. Just had to slow things down. Footwork is huge

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Again, footwork is to kickboxing what hip positioning is to jiujitsu.

If your in guard with no angle, you can't sub him... Period. But if you have a good, deep angle, hell, pick you favorite sub, they're all there... (Basic analogy, lets not debate jiujitsu guard subs pls)
    Same thing in kickboxing, if your off balance or flat footed or even simply in the wrong place, your never gonna land anything.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    So, I've been landing an inside leg kick to a cross combo in class a lot lately... But I feel like after the cross I either need to 1) continue engaging if there are openings, or 2) get the heck out of striking distance before the other guy counters... So, are there any other options from here? And what kind of footwork can I use to create a better angle to continue my offense (i.e. should I try to get to the outside after the cross?)

Array

School
    Crazy Monkey Norge, Oslo, Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosien Zare View Post
    So, I've been landing an inside leg kick to a cross combo in class a lot lately... But I feel like after the cross I either need to 1) continue engaging if there are openings, or 2) get the heck out of striking distance before the other guy counters... So, are there any other options from here? And what kind of footwork can I use to create a better angle to continue my offense (i.e. should I try to get to the outside after the cross?)
    For me, it depends a bit on how I enter with the kick. I will assume for now that both you and your opponent are orthodox. If you do a fast inside kick without stepping all the way through first, I would work on my placement of the left foot after the kick. Try to put it forwards at an angle, about 45 degrees outside of your opponent, and follow up with your cross from there.

If you manage to kick, land the foot at an angle and square up your hips while throwing the cross, thats a good spot to follow up. You could continue to your left while throwing an angling left hook, or blast through him with a cross-jab-cross maybe. If he stands his ground, a liver-shot is a good follow up to the initial cross.

Hope this makes some sense!

I would also introduce you to a concept we utilise a lot in Crazy Monkey Defense. The Safety Jab. It's main purpose is to help me make the return back to safety and the outside game, if I feel compromised on the inside. It's really easy to do, but can make a huge impact on your game. When I want to move back to safety I will throw a succesion of fast jabs while circling put. Not with the intention of hitting the opponent, but make him preoccupied with the jab, so that he will think twice about chasing you / attacking you.

Play around with this and let me know if it's helpful, or if I need to explain myself better.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Mirko got robbed at Glory!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast