Array

School
    South Bay Jiu Jitsu Hermosa

Mission Control Question

Hey guys! So I have had a long lay off in bjj due to a back injury... During this time I have been on the web researching every technique I can. I have always been a fan of rubber guard and Eddie Bravo so I researched as much as I can. Earlier this week I finally got some mat time in and worked rubber guard A TON! It worked out well for me but one of the bigger blue belts at my gym (i'm a tall skinny blue belt) saw me doing this. So when I rolled with him I ended up in guard and pulled mission control real quick like. He then grabbed my foot from the leg that was going across his shoulders and pulled down on it really hard... my leg was stuck and he was going to pop my ankle so I had to tap. No one at my gym really uses rubber guard so I couldn't get any tips on what I did wrong or how to prevent this... is this just one thing you have to be aware of and is hard to avoid so you should abandon it at this point. Should I have used my other leg that was on his hip to push his arm off(didn't think of at the time)??? I think he actually had both hands on my foot... so was it not tight enough? Any tips are helpful... i hope you can understand what I am explaining... I just ordered "mastering the rubber guard" but I will be on the mat again before it arrives... once again thanks for any tips!

Array

School
    10th Planet Vancouver
    try and be quicker with the zombie, if that fails and he has two hands on your foot, one of his elbows must be in your centre line and vulnerable to a deep hook although, if you can't peel his hands off your foot, you'll find it tough to move, i'd imagine trying to switch to crackhead, peel off the hands and working for a deep hook is an option, when he feels the deep hook he might change his mind about grabbing your foot. its tough with really strong guys though!!

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    If the guy grabs your foot and pushes it down, you should put him straight into The Stock. You can see a lot of it on 10th Planet All Stars...but here's a free vid by our resident Ari Bolden:

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay JC Chow View Post
    If the guy grabs your foot and pushes it down, you should put him straight into The Stock. You can see a lot of it on 10th Planet All Stars...but here's a free vid by our resident Ari Bolden:

ttt for Submissions 101! Great Vids on that site! Ari goes some great work.

Array

School
    Thanks Guys... Unfortunately I can not view videos right now because I am at work. I will definitely check the vid when I get home tonight. I am unfamiliar with the stock and have never really tried crackhead control but will start working on them both. I really like rubber guard and it fits perfectly in to my game since I am flexible... I can't wait for the book to arrive I ordered. I am thinking about stopping by 10th planet HQ... any idea of how much it is to go a couple times a month?

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    It's $170 a month I THINK if you pay per month, drop in fee is $20-30

Array

School
    Thanks Jay! That's not too bad... I can't afford to go to my school and 10th planet paying two monthly dues but I definitely will try drop in from time to time.