Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The GI is dead?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    The gi is an offensive hindrance. I don't see how this could possibly still be up for discussion, other than pre-conceived biases coming into play. If I don't want you limping out of my guard, I better learn to play with a pretty good amount of squeeze. That takes endurance, reps, and dedication. The gi prevents you from needing to squeeze, limiting the endurance, reps, and dedication to squeezing that is required for effective no-gi submission attacks.

I often hear the argument that the gi will help you defensively by slowing the game down. I can see some room for this being the case. But if efficiency is the primary goal of Jiu Jitsu, the gi can be a hindrance here as well. Slow and methodical isn't always the most efficient way when the gi isn't present. Often times the most efficient escape from an Omoplata is simply to go limp and pull your arm out of there. You don't learn how to do that in a gi. You learn the opposite of that.

If you wanna play in the gi, no problem. I like playing in the gi from time to time just to change things up. Go for it. It can be fun.

The one thing I think we don't address enough is the difference between no gi with gloves, and no gi without gloves. Lots of differences there, as well. And I think that needs to be addressed for our fighters. And they should be rolling with punches pretty much all the time, too.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    t was posted a couple weeks ago

This is why I find it funny when people say stuff without really knowing or just repeat stuff they here

Marcelo uses gi grips, Marcelo uses collar chokes, Marcelo grabs the belt, Marcelo teaches and uses the Gi all the time

Watch his roll with Faria, he grabs sleeves, he subs him with a loop choke, he uses far lapel control from half guard on top and side control to pass, etc...

I dont know how this stuff spreads, but it does, it just annoys me when people say stuff without really knowing or finding out for themselves

Link?

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by VIVIANO View Post
    I don't agree with that at all

I've been told everything from what I do is not 'real' jiu jitsu, no-gi belts don't count, I'm less technical.....take your pick
    Sorry, I wasn't being totally clear. What I meant was gi guys don't strongly oppose ALSO training nogi. Yes, a lot of them would oppose solely training nogi, myself included.

I think the gi practitioners still dominate the debate

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't being totally clear. What I meant was gi guys don't strongly oppose ALSO training nogi. Yes, a lot of them would oppose solely training nogi, myself included.
    Joseph, what is your goal set regarding grappling?
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Array

School
    I can't believe you turds dragged me into this debate. Again.
    - Amir Allam

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    ok got you

Why is it beneficial to include some gi?

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I can't believe you turds dragged me into this debate. Again.
    Lol. Here we go again. Eddie didn't even mean it in the straight grappling context. He is talking about jiu jitsu for mma.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast