Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami

Counter 'big neck' while executing JNT

Fully locked up vice grip, leg collected, ready to fall to the side, but the guy has a strong neck--any way to break this defense?

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    I've never had this experience but often if I miss the jnt, I can often times switch to the darce and vice versa.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    IDK but I'm a path of least resistance guy. If a guy has an unchokable/crankable neck, I'd just use the JNT to move into mount and work something else.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    If you can't fall to the side then you probably don't have the vice locked down on his head enough and aren't actually fully locked in or your angle is off. Or maybe both. My most successful neckties are ones that I catch the vice incredibly deep as soon as I throw it, clinching, and never giving him an inch of space back as far as their heads posture. When people become worried about the necktie more than anything else in your game from particular positions, they make it a point to have incredibly strong necks ensuring to eliminate themselves from getting necktied. In such cases, I switch to something else and change up the game and take their mind off of it. When you know how powerful neckties are, you stay the hell away at all costs opening up other stuff. Trying to become ninja at shooting marcelotine if they overextend their neck defending.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Your vice might be flawed somehow. Make sure you have a gable, not an S grip. Also make sure your elbow is at your hip and your firearm runs to where your elbow is near the crown (hair swirl)..

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Every move can be successfully defended, of course, and some people have physical advantages which help against particular moves (e.g., my double-jointed elbows bend backwards; good luck with the armbar). That said, my execution of the Jap necktie really improved when I made sure to fully engage my (a) forearm, (b) pectorals, and (c) abdominals. (a) With the choking arm, engage your forearm by doing a 'kawasaki' (revving a motorcycle) type motion. It's what Stallone does in Over the Top, in case you watch shitty old movies. (b) Engage your pecs by squeezing your forearms towards each other. (c) Engage your abs when you pull yourself over the dude's head. So, you aren't just doing a row (pulling with your back) when finishing the move; use your whole body.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Philips View Post
    If you can't fall to the side then you probably don't have the vice locked down on his head enough and aren't actually fully locked in or your angle is off. Or maybe both. My most successful neckties are ones that I catch the vice incredibly deep as soon as I throw it, clinching, and never giving him an inch of space back as far as their heads posture. When people become worried about the necktie more than anything else in your game from particular positions, they make it a point to have incredibly strong necks ensuring to eliminate themselves from getting necktied. In such cases, I switch to something else and change up the game and take their mind off of it. When you know how powerful neckties are, you stay the hell away at all costs opening up other stuff. Trying to become ninja at shooting marcelotine if they overextend their neck defending.
    This dude goes and takes his jnt. One of the strongest vices I've felt.

So if you can follow any of the above. If he gets a solid attempt of the jnt, you're screwed either way. If he's runnin from your vice grip, something else isopen.

Also, if you can 2on1 the crown and suck in a double under. This is the strongest way I've found to break big necks.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ft Laudy HB
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    Every move can be successfully defended, of course, and some people have physical advantages which help against particular moves (e.g., my double-jointed elbows bend backwards; good luck with the armbar). That said, my execution of the Jap necktie really improved when I made sure to fully engage my (a) forearm, (b) pectorals, and (c) abdominals. (a) With the choking arm, engage your forearm by doing a 'kawasaki' (revving a motorcycle) type motion. It's what Stallone does in Over the Top, in case you watch shitty old movies. (b) Engage your pecs by squeezing your forearms towards each other. (c) Engage your abs when you pull yourself over the dude's head. So, you aren't just doing a row (pulling with your back) when finishing the move; use your whole body.
    This is a fucking beautiful explanation!! Amir you da Man!
    Chris Herzog Blue Belt

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Philips View Post
    I completely forgot about the guilloknot! Thanks for the reminder! Also, I indeed had the vice locked up well; after we got done rolling the guy told me he was very close to tapping. But I was at a physical disadvantage. That I'll describe after Amir's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    This is making a lot of sense to me. I think I may rely too much on just having the grip itself rather than actually engaging myself as much as I should. I am at a disadvantage at my gym. I'm the shortest and the lightest guy in my gym, by quite a bit all the way around. Not only that but I'm also one of the few white belts there too. Most of them are purples. This particular case was against a very skilled blue belt who is a lot lankier than I am (longer arms, legs, and torso).

Like I said, I had the vice nice and tight, almost to the point of tapping him without falling. When I went to fall to the side though, his neck was very strong and i couldn't pull myself over (at least that's how it felt) without risking losing the hook on the leg. Perhaps if I engage my upper body more, as you say, I can pressure him into giving a little bit, allowing me to fall over.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    This dude goes and takes his jnt. One of the strongest vices I've felt.

So if you can follow any of the above. If he gets a solid attempt of the jnt, you're screwed either way. If he's runnin from your vice grip, something else isopen.

Also, if you can 2on1 the crown and suck in a double under. This is the strongest way I've found to break big necks.
    Could you elebaorate on the 2on1 crown thing?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    This is making a lot of sense to me. I think I may rely too much on just having the grip itself rather than actually engaging myself as much as I should. I am at a disadvantage at my gym. I'm the shortest and the lightest guy in my gym, by quite a bit all the way around. Not only that but I'm also one of the few white belts there too. Most of them are purples. This particular case was against a very skilled blue belt who is a lot lankier than I am (longer arms, legs, and torso).

Like I said, I had the vice nice and tight, almost to the point of tapping him without falling. When I went to fall to the side though, his neck was very strong and i couldn't pull myself over (at least that's how it felt) without risking losing the hook on the leg. Perhaps if I engage my upper body more, as you say, I can pressure him into giving a little bit, allowing me to fall over.
    Wow, in that case you're doing awesomely to get a vice grip and even attempt to finish. I'm guessing that some small adjustments will increase the effectiveness of this move for you. I really gained the insight about the muscular engagement when I had Einstein show me how to finish this move. I was positioning myself and my arms in much the same way, but I noticed that he felt incredibly powerful, and I thought, "He's strong, but he can't be THAT strong at 150 lbs." I then payed close attention to the way he was using his whole body. It is really analogous to throwing 'arm punches' in boxing. And I don't mean to imply that you need to be yoked; I'm just saying that most of the parts of your body make contributions to every technique.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast