Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

It's not really that spicy, but the flavor and spice is enough to take the food to another level.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    I have Tapatio with about 80% of my meals since it's readily available in my area in large size bottles. But, I actually prefer Cholula.

I tried to use only Valentina for a while when my girlfriend (at the time) from Mexico City convinced me it was more legit from a Mexican perspective. Valentina was pretty decent with a little bit higher heat but I will still choose Tapatio or Cholula any day. I also tried El Pato. Couldn't convince myself to like that one.

To me, the various types of Dave's Insanity are more like a novelty. The regular Dave's Insanity is pretty good. But, the Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper is ridiculous. I had it a few times as part of drinking games. It's just pain for my taste buds. I'm sure the more flavor oriented products like the Dave's Insanity Crazy Carribean are probably awesome.

Sriracha has a taste that is almost too much like a pimento paste or something like that for me (although excellent in Pho and other Asian soups). Never been down with Tobasco for some reason (sorry gulf state friends). El Yucateco Habanero seems okay.

My current favorite for the last year is Melinda's Original Habanero in any of the three levels of heat. I would love to try some of the flavored variations. There are also some Thai pepper pastes like Tia Chieu Sa-Te that are ridiculously delicious and (to me) addictive. They taste nothing like Sriracha. Try these Thai pepper pastes if you like the hot sauces more traditionally available in North America, but don't confuse them with the sour versions that are meant more for soups.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    I can't stand tobasco and franks, it just tastes like salty vinegar to me.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I can't stand tobasco and franks, it just tastes like salty vinegar to me.
    Yeah, they really should be considered a totally different category of condiment when compared to most Mexican style hot sauces.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hanley View Post
    Yeah, they really should be considered a totally different category of condiment when compared to most Mexican style hot sauces.
    Your right Tobasco should be in a different category nothing tastes like it, but its my favorite I love salty vinegar and red pepper!

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Your right Tobasco should be in a different category nothing tastes like it, but its my favorite I love salty vinegar and red pepper!
    You probably put it on pasties!

I just threw a little Tapatio in my fry sauce. Does anybody else do this? I am guessing only other people in the West will be likely candidates for this. When I was on the East Coast in school, most Easterners I encountered regarded fry sauce as some kind of abomination.

Array

School
    10th Ventura
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-15183070

"It was very painful and felt like I was being chainsawed in the stomach with hot sauce on the chainsaw."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123