Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eisner View Post
    Bill went as far as saying his Rubber Guard is "horrid." Knowing that Javi is a friend of Eddie and a very talented BJJ black belt, using that terminology on our forums might not be a great idea, but hey, if that is what you want to say...

Let me explain my position. I'm not saying that Javi's Rubber Guard is amazing, I'm saying that it wasn't as bad as most of you are making it out to be. Lets face it. With the limited amount of reps Javi probably has working RG, he was able to utilize it to nullify much of Chad Mendes' crazy athleticism. If Javi had played double wrist control, he would have definitely eaten a few hundred more punches.

Secondly his problem was the lack of options in his RG bag. Javi continued to hunt for the triangle off of the Meat Hook and after awhile it obviously became predictable. That being said, again, Javi was still able to use it effectively to nullify a lot of Chad's game, which usually consists of laying inside of someones guard, or in side control and punching them for three rounds. If you understand how athletic Chad is and how good of a wrestler he is, then you understand that Javi did pretty well from a position he most likely doesn't work very often.

Based on what we all saw last night, to make his RG more effective, Javi just needs more options and tricks from the position, but I'm focused on the positives. Chad Mendes was winning that fight no matter what last night. He is a young, up and coming fighter with insane wrestling. I think Javi did well with what he knew and I stick by that.

Bill said "I can just picture traditional BJJ players grinning and smirking to one another "rubbish guard, see that shit don't work, etc..."

Or we can say that Javi, a very talented Gracie Jiu Jitsu Black Belt, might become an ambassador for Rubber Guard now.

If we are talking hypotheticals then why not say that Javi enters that same conversation with these so called "traditional BJJ players" and replies "You know what guys. If I didn't use RG, I might have gotten punched out? If anything RG helped stopped me from having to look like Sloth from Goonies. I think we should investigate this position more."

Just my 2 cents.
    Jason, for the record, I just commented on the fact that I thought it look loose. I agree that it definately gave chad a problem. didnt look like chad could set up a good assault from the fact that javi was constantly attacking with the rubberguard. I was excited to see someone of that caliber use the rubberguard as I always am when I see it in the big fights. And like I said, you do know more than me, but my opinion was it looked loose.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    ok, now that yalls have made up, what are the options Javi could've tried out? Anyone? What would you have done?
    Its hard to say what he could have done from the position he was in. I got all excited when he pulled crackhead, but it seemed like chad was just to strong. on a couple of the oma attempts, would the carni might have worked better. I dont know, just thinking and thought that not being able to maintain the arm and hips together, maybe he could have used both hands to control the wrist and pull the carni. maybe????

Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    Jason, for the record, I just commented on the fact that I thought it look loose. I agree that it definately gave chad a problem. didnt look like chad could set up a good assault from the fact that javi was constantly attacking with the rubberguard. I was excited to see someone of that caliber use the rubberguard as I always am when I see it in the big fights. And like I said, you do know more than me, but my opinion was it looked loose.
    Frank...I had no problem with your post. It was concise and respectful. I was just posting my thoughts as well.

Best,
    Jason

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    ok, now that yalls have made up, what are the options Javi could've tried out? Anyone? What would you have done?
    Gogo was there a couple of times. So I would've followed SJ> SK>Sorcerer, maybe test that Mono that you have been raving about He def needed to dig that forearm elbow in, and hug the knee, and get the right foot to the hip or leg curl to help tighten control the position. And so on, and so on. LoL!

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eisner View Post
    Frank...I had no problem with your post. It was concise and respectful. I was just posting my thoughts as well.

Best,
    Jason
    Thanks jason.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    New York to Mad Dog to Omo sweep to get on top or take the back. Gotta hug that knee tight from NY with the MD.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Well, clearly it's an "easier said than done" observation, I mean Chad is a sick wrestler and Javi's hips definitely weren't stuck out of some positional accident. Chad was very methodical in his control and how he forced Javi's position. That being said, I would have regressed to New York to try and get a better attack angle or at least a higher guard position. Chad was just too high in the guard and whenever I'm looking up towards my rubber guard, I know that shit isn't going to hold together for that much longer.

Array

School
    Anu Academy
    I would imagine that having Chad Mendes in your guard is like having two pit bulls fighting in a pillowcase. With that said, it may have been Javi's strategy to use the rubber guard as a method of neutralizing Chad's attack which I feel he did so effectively. It should be noted that he did not abandon the techniques but stayed actively searching for solutions to the problems Chad brings in a fight. It also shows a maturity in his game that he recognizes the value of this system. For that he's earned my respect, although Javi's the man and he had it before anyways .

Array

School
    RMNU

try to clear the neck more. almost got a armbar the one time he did.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast