Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra

Representing other schools in competition

TL; DR

Should I share my competition victories here in the Forum even if I'm representing another school?

Can I wear a 10P rashie under a Gracie Barra Gi, or is that disrespectful?

Hey,

I was going to post this at Eddie's AMA thread, but it's gotten really big... So...

I want to start competing this year (around September or so), but I have a few problems. Although I hate the gi, I'm a Barra guy. That means we only have one No-Gi class a week, and the Gi is sacred around here.

Obviously, I don't have any 10P around, and the other schools are not so good (and some don't even have No-Gi classes). This means I'm a 10th Planet Ronin, self-taught through Eddie's books and DVDs.

I'm getting a lot of taps at my gym, even against more skilled opponents, and the really great guys have a hard time passing my Lockdown. Okay, I'm playing Gi, and I get choked A LOT because of the collar, and I still have no idea how to deal with that. Any thoughts? Should I drop the Lockdown in the Gi?

Anyway, that being said, my question is: if I compete and win playing 10P, should I share it even if I'm "representing" another school? I know that, technically, 10P is purely No-Gi, but I've been using a few basic sweeps and submissions with great success so far, and most people around here have never even heard about 10P. I think a good way to spread the word is to beat them in competition. It surely got people at my school thinking.

Speaking of which, some guys got so excited about the basic 10P stuff I showed at school, we are about to begin a "Bravo Garage" here, maybe next Saturday. Is that cool?

Also, I ordered two 10P rashies (Lux was wonderful, Eddie, you lucky son of a gun), and most competitions around here allow you to wear rashies under the Gi. Would it be disrespectful to wear a Gracie Barra Gi on top of a 10P Rashie?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    You mean share your videos here or just in general?
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    You mean share your videos here or just in general?
    Sharing with you guys, so you can give me pointers and such. Since I have no one to correct me, I think that would be great.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    A "Bravo Garage" is called a Hotbox see the sticky at the top of the forum for Hotbox criteria, rules and regs. Also contact Zog he handles all the Hotboxes.

I was originally self taught 10th P while training in the Gi and I found many of the techniques workrd just fine in the Gi. Twister side is great with the Gi, way more control. Lock down is supper tight. Rubber guard has some good and bad. It's tough to get a zombie but once you do it's very hard for them to get their trapped arm back out.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Don't ditch the lockdown for anything. Ever.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Share. We're different here. Nothing but love.

Array

School
    BJJ Akademie Berlin
    If you are doing lots in the gi check to 10P Stockholm's (Magnus Hansson) videos. I train mostly gi too and he really does a great job using some 10 Planet stuff in a gi.

It's all jiu jitsu man...enjoy it.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schuettenberg View Post
    A "Bravo Garage" is called a Hotbox see the sticky at the top of the forum for Hotbox criteria, rules and regs. Also contact Zog he handles all the Hotboxes.
    Damn, I've just read the sticky you mentioned, and I'm kinda baffled. That's not what I meant at all. When I said "Bravo Garage", I meant a few guys getting together to practice and have fun. It's not like an "amateur gym", so to speak. As I said, we have no 10P here. None. So that's pretty much all we can do: watch, read, and learn. I have no way of matching those criteria. None of the guys who want to try it have. I mean, it's like when guys get together to play football on the weekend, only it's Jiu Jitsu. Do I still have to do all that?

Also, thanks for the love brothers And, Kurzy, I won't ditch the lockdown. I loved it. Thanks for the warning though ;X

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy Lobster View Post
    Damn, I've just read the sticky you mentioned, and I'm kinda baffled. That's not what I meant at all. When I said "Bravo Garage", I meant a few guys getting together to practice and have fun. It's not like an "amateur gym", so to speak. As I said, we have no 10P here. None. So that's pretty much all we can do: watch, read, and learn. I have no way of matching those criteria. None of the guys who want to try it have. I mean, it's like when guys get together to play football on the weekend, only it's Jiu Jitsu. Do I still have to do all that?

Also, thanks for the love brothers And, Kurzy, I won't ditch the lockdown. I loved it. Thanks for the warning though ;X
    If all your doing is training and drilling 10th Planet tech you don't have to meet the hotbox requirements but if you plan on using the 10th Planet name in any way you MUST meet the requirements. Otherwise have fun and post your comp videos everyone is cool here.
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    Oh, then I'm cool. By no means I want to use 10P's name/logo/etc. We'll be drilling and studying and having fun. Thanks for the love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast