Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    KJJ

Lockdown Counter - What to do here? :x

Hey guys, just when my lockdown was getting pretty effective (in my mind anyway), a couple of higher level dudes have been using this particular counter against me, with really good results.

Here it is at the (approx) 2:05 mark:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mc9-DXhCLA

They basically lift their locked foot/shin up 90 degrees, rotate, than finish off with the standard "kick out" knee slide pass.

Any tips on how to counter this? Other than this, my lockdown's been working really well for me - but I do need a solution for this before everyone else catches on and starts using it.

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    This was a common counter to my lockdown for a bit, I adjusted by making sure to keep that lockdown really low on the leg (doing it correctly), extend it as far as i could, Underhooks, and whipping. There's no way someone can bend their knee on an extended LD while being whipped around like a rag doll.

But I really have no idea..
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    Next Generation Ballymena / 10th Planet Ronin
    Having good doubles unders will surely help prevent them just being able to slice through

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    The lockdown alone does not a good half guard make. You must squeeze your knees. You must whip. You must clinch. You must systematically work to perfect double unders. You must quickly capitalize on any open space by jumping straight in to perfect double unders, or right into the electric chair. This is a battle.

Lose. Win. Lose. Win.

Reps. Reps. Reps. Reps.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Just like what master eddie did at metamoris, the key thing was to get that other leg under control. Either grab it or underhook it, even if you dont know a lockdown and just a 1/4 guard. But if you manage to get the lockdown, you better use it fast before you get kimuraed.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Sweet! Loads of great advice flying in from all angles already. Thanks guys, all fantastic notes that I'll definitely work on.

Just some details though, that really helps the higher level (I'm referring to good purples and browns) guys get this particular technique on me easily.

1. They initiate the "lift the shin/foot straight up in the air" technique IMMEDIATELY. I mean, the moment/split second my outside foot comes over, BOOM - it's up. I don't even have a chance of stretching them out or controlling, moving, whipping them around in the first place.

2. Regarding Cora's (or rather, Cora's dad's) advice on the 1/4 guard - when I can undertook their near leg, all's good. But the problem is that the skillful guys, especially in the gi, grab my gi (near the wrist) and pull it straight up (it's actually "knee slice 101" technique to control that wrist by pulling the gi/wrist straight up and isolating the grounded opponent's defence). That eliminates my defence against the ultimate knee slice finisher - the back kicks (exactly what Marcelo was doing in the video).

So my guess is, against dudes that are really fast with their "lift my shin/foot up in the air" defence against the lockdown - I'll need to figure out something to do against them WHEN they initiate that defence (and their foot is straight up in the air).

Now that's something I'm still eagerly looking for a solution for.

p.s. Btw, experienced purples and browns beat my ass really easily anyway - but i do expect and hope to at least be able to keep them in my lockdown and make em' work a LITTLE bit, instead of just running through it like a crowd during a 90% off sale at Macy's.

Array

School
    Like Ross said, just reps, lots and lots of reps, they help you get that perfect low Lockdown, and when it comes on right, no speed stops it...if they get it up in the air, you reset and try again...

My new problem isn't even this issue, my new issue is the top half guy triangle-ing his legs..but I've repped this so much that if his legs aren't triangled, then I'm gonna get lockdown for sure.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    KJJ
    Wancarlos - Ahh.. the triangling the legs defence. Have dudes doing this to me too, so I know exactly what you mean. My take on that particular one is - you can't lock them down when they're triangled, but they've got no offence till they release that triangle either.

I guess you and Ross are spot on - my problem is, these dudes have been initiating their defence BEFORE I've hit the lockdown. In other words, it's exactly what you two have said - SPEED! Will work on this for sure.

I'm interested in the definition of a "low lockdown" though. I think I understand what you mean, but it'll be great to understand the details behind the "low lockdown", and how "low" is "low"? (i.e. Does it mean one foot is at his thigh, and the instep of the other foot is at his knee? Is my guess even remotely close? - Or does "low" mean "both feet at as close to the bottom of his shin + ankle" as possible?)

Array

School
    The latter, you may need further clarification, but when I had LD issues in comp, I would review and see that the my legs were locking down near the knee, which did nothing for me. I think having the feet as low as possible while doing LD correctly is the way to go.

Also. in response to the other comment, you always want to be 3 steps ahead of the guy, so while you work on gaining speed and flow with the move, also work on pulling half when escaping mount, or forcing the knee slide. Don't give up good positions (obviously) But be offensive with your Dee-Fence!!! lol

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Wancarlos View Post
    The latter, you may need further clarification, but when I had LD issues in comp, I would review and see that the my legs were locking down near the knee, which did nothing for me. I think having the feet as low as possible while doing LD correctly is the way to go.

Also. in response to the other comment, you always want to be 3 steps ahead of the guy, so while you work on gaining speed and flow with the move, also work on pulling half when escaping mount, or forcing the knee slide. Don't give up good positions (obviously) But be offensive with your Dee-Fence!!! lol
    YES SIR-REE!!

p.s. This forum ROCKS. Seriously, it's one of the most helpful, positive places on the internet (yes, these places still exist, who knew?? haha!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast