Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sarasin View Post
    I ve got a question that I ve had for years in my mind. After the chest pass and then when u go for the far side arm bar, why do we have to keep our foot under his ribs. I understand that the fact that the guy is turned on his side so the arm bar is harder to pull out, but the cork scrub escape seems super easy to escape, I haven't seen anyone pull this kind of armbar off, plus I'm scared of hurting the guy cuz u can really crank it.

Any thoughts on this?
    You have really never seen anyone pull this off? It's one of the most common armbars in BJJ. If you use heavy pressure with your leg it's pretty tough to corkscrew out. I don't love the technique in no-gi but it's definitely effective if you have a good underhook on the far side arm.

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    Not with the leg under the ribs, usually i c it over/ Ill try with a tighter underhook, maybe it will work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    You have really never seen anyone pull this off? It's one of the most common armbars in BJJ. If you use heavy pressure with your leg it's pretty tough to corkscrew out. I don't love the technique in no-gi but it's definitely effective if you have a good underhook on the far side arm.

Array

School
    10th Planet West LA
    I ve got a question that I ve had for years in my mind. After the chest pass and then when u go for the far side arm bar, why do we have to keep our foot under his ribs. I understand that the fact that the guy is turned on his side so the arm bar is harder to pull out, but the cork scrub escape seems super easy to escape, I haven't seen anyone pull this kind of armbar off, plus I'm scared of hurting the guy cuz u can really crank it.

Any thoughts on this?
    Ralf Warneking, 10th Planet black belt in Germany, really liked teaching this armbar when he was with us at West LA. Trust me, you don't get out when he's doing it to you...! The main concept is the same as for a standard armbar--keep the knees super tight and the leg over the face heavy. Also, because your foot is planted behind their ribcage or shoulder blade and you are thus elevating their shoulder, you don't have to fall back as far to get the tap.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Not with the leg under the ribs, usually i c it over/ Ill try with a tighter underhook, maybe it will work better.
    Andrew, if your having trouble keeping it tight try this. Instead of having a normal underhook, underhook his far arm but cup the back of his triceps an keep your elbow to the inside of his body (between his chest an stomach an not on his back side ). Keeps it much tighter till you can make the spin around. I also like to place my free hand directly behind his back while spinning an then replace it with my knee. This stops him from getting his back to the mat before you have the proper positioning with your legs.

Array

School
    10WO
    Question: are there any specific scenarios the new pre-warmups directly translate to? Or is it just more for general mat/body awareness? Like how cartwheels and forward rolls can both translate to rolling kimuras.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123