Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Easy to understand why all of Fadda's students ethered the Gracies with leg locks. But I mean, if that's the case, wouldn't it make even more sense to train them? It's pretty much check mate. And can't the same be said about armbars? With the sleeves and friction, wouldn't those also be hard to escape? IDK man, seems like a cop out on their end. Bring back reaping and heel hooks. At least at brown and up.
    I think the "Fear" of leg locks, is what keeps people from learning them, and appropriately defending them. I was once afraid, but no longer, I invite everyone to jump on my feet, ankles, and legs. I want to walk through "the fire" that eddie talks about, because especially in NoGi and in the absolute tournaments, that's what you're seeing little guys do to big guys, along with quick back takes, and flying shit.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Listen guys, while I agree that ibjjf rules are dumb, you're missing the bigger point here.

The story of how BJJ was created, as we know it, is a lie.

If you check out his lineage, it does not contain a Gracie. There were at least two families that created the martial art we love so dearly. The Gracies were the better marketers, however, and won the reputation war. This man was not in BJJ for the money. He gave freely of his knowledge and spread our art to those who could not afford it.

Sean Applegate told us of a story that happened to him, which I hope he comes on here to tell it, but basically those from the Fadda line (mostly in Brazil) either love us or have no problem with us. It's only the Gracies, the marketers.

The Helio filter idea is a lie.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I posted this a while ago. http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...=Oswaldo+Fadda

The link doesn't work...? I smell a conspiracy. I think the Gracies are deleting all "Fadda" history.

The link I had was a lot more detailed. Fadda and his team easily beat Helio & the Gracie team both times.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Who gave Fadda his rank?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    There was actually two different challenge events. With Fadda and his team winning both easily.

Array

School
    Lookin'
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Instead of seeing a hole they needed to close, they just labeled them cheap moves.
    Couldn't agree more. The essence of the collective ego, right therrre.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Who gave Fadda his rank?
    Who gave Carlos Gracie his?
    Last edited by Jack LaBarge; 06-16-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Who gave Fadda his rank?
    Mitsuyo Maeda → Luiz França → Oswaldo Fadda
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    Who gave Carlos Gracie his?
    The Gracie’s sons trained with Maeda for somewhere between 2 to 4 years. Maeda then moved to another part of Brazil.

In 1925, Carlos Gracie opened his own Jiu-Jitsu school. Similar to Jigoro Kano, Gracie had 4 years training (and possibly less) ....Carlos was maybe a purple belt at best( today's standarts) when he first opened his school. Nobody belted him or gave him rank.
    Last edited by Jack LaBarge; 06-16-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    I think the "Fear" of leg locks, is what keeps people from learning them, and appropriately defending them. I was once afraid, but no longer, I invite everyone to jump on my feet, ankles, and legs. I want to walk through "the fire" that eddie talks about, because especially in NoGi and in the absolute tournaments, that's what you're seeing little guys do to big guys, along with quick back takes, and flying shit.
    And I think that fear was blown out of proportion. I've only been injured twice. Once from a bad judo fall. Once from an overzealous armbar. And I trained with leg lock killers. The leg lock danger is a myth IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    Listen guys, while I agree that ibjjf rules are dumb, you're missing the bigger point here.

The story of how BJJ was created, as we know it, is a lie.

If you check out his lineage, it does not contain a Gracie. There were at least two families that created the martial art we love so dearly. The Gracies were the better marketers, however, and won the reputation war. This man was not in BJJ for the money. He gave freely of his knowledge and spread our art to those who could not afford it.

Sean Applegate told us of a story that happened to him, which I hope he comes on here to tell it, but basically those from the Fadda line (mostly in Brazil) either love us or have no problem with us. It's only the Gracies, the marketers.

The Helio filter idea is a lie.
    Oh no, I get your point. That's why I brought up the leg locks. That's what Fadda's team use to win most of the matches. Then "coincidentally" leg locks are considered cheap and reaping is evil and bla bla bla. I'm just using leg locks as an example of Fadda's erasure.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast