Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    Listen guys, while I agree that ibjjf rules are dumb, you're missing the bigger point here.

The story of how BJJ was created, as we know it, is a lie.

If you check out his lineage, it does not contain a Gracie. There were at least two families that created the martial art we love so dearly. The Gracies were the better marketers, however, and won the reputation war. This man was not in BJJ for the money. He gave freely of his knowledge and spread our art to those who could not afford it.

Sean Applegate told us of a story that happened to him, which I hope he comes on here to tell it, but basically those from the Fadda line (mostly in Brazil) either love us or have no problem with us. It's only the Gracies, the marketers.

The Helio filter idea is a lie.
    I mean if we boil it down to the nitty gritty it doesn't really matter who did what or who did who. I agree credit should go to where credit is due, but like it says on the pages. França and Carlos Gracie trained at the same time under Mitsuyo Maeda. The gracie filter isn't a lie, the gracie filter is one way of looking at jiu jitsu. Whether you agree with it or not its how they look at it. Fadda's filter is another, 10th Planets is another, Marcelo's is another and we can go on and on and on. I think the biggest oversight of this argument is you're trying to say the Gracie's are full of shit, and In some aspects I agree with you, but in others I don't. There's tons of infighting within the families, there's tons of stuff that one guy told, There's issues about logo rights, and a bunch of other stuff. Everything always stems from how much cash do you have to back your endeavor. If you have tons of money to back a project chances are you're gonna succeed we see this in the real world when it comes to some of these start up companies and other companies that venture capitalists jump on.

So Ross, I agree with you that not everything should have the "HELIO" Filter, and it's not the end all be all, but without the gracies, we may not be having this conversation today. Without their popularization of the art and the money they pumped into it, we may not be sitting here having a debate on the forum. So I thank the gracies for popularizing Jiu Jitsu, I thank the gracies for bringing it to where it's been. So I think everyone deserves a little credit these days. Without Maeda, Carlos wouldn't have learned, without Carlos, Helio wouldn't have contributed, and the list goes on and on. So I say to everyone thats done anything remotely positive for jiu jitsu, THANK YOU.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    I posted this a while ago. http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...=Oswaldo+Fadda

The link doesn't work...? I smell a conspiracy. I think the Gracies are deleting all "Fadda" history.

The link I had was a lot more detailed. Fadda and his team easily beat Helio & the Gracie team both times.
    Wow that's nuts that this link does't work.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    I mean if we boil it down to the nitty gritty it doesn't really matter who did what or who did who. I agree credit should go to where credit is due, but like it says on the pages. França and Carlos Gracie trained at the same time under Mitsuyo Maeda. The gracie filter isn't a lie, the gracie filter is one way of looking at jiu jitsu. Whether you agree with it or not its how they look at it. Fadda's filter is another, 10th Planets is another, Marcelo's is another and we can go on and on and on. I think the biggest oversight of this argument is you're trying to say the Gracie's are full of shit, and In some aspects I agree with you, but in others I don't. There's tons of infighting within the families, there's tons of stuff that one guy told, There's issues about logo rights, and a bunch of other stuff. Everything always stems from how much cash do you have to back your endeavor. If you have tons of money to back a project chances are you're gonna succeed we see this in the real world when it comes to some of these start up companies and other companies that venture capitalists jump on.

So Ross, I agree with you that not everything should have the "HELIO" Filter, and it's not the end all be all, but without the gracies, we may not be having this conversation today. Without their popularization of the art and the money they pumped into it, we may not be sitting here having a debate on the forum. So I thank the gracies for popularizing Jiu Jitsu, I thank the gracies for bringing it to where it's been. So I think everyone deserves a little credit these days. Without Maeda, Carlos wouldn't have learned, without Carlos, Helio wouldn't have contributed, and the list goes on and on. So I say to everyone thats done anything remotely positive for jiu jitsu, THANK YOU.
    I definitely agree that we wouldn't be here if it weren't for the Gracies. But I think it's important to know about the true history of jiu jitsu. I think too many people use their lineage as a means to discredit other ways of doing jiu jitsu. I'm for sure appreciative of the things the Gracies have done for jiu jitsu. I'm not a fan of how they took credit for its creation and then sought to turn it into something only for those with money.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    And I think that fear was blown out of proportion. I've only been injured twice. Once from a bad judo fall. Once from an overzealous armbar. And I trained with leg lock killers. The leg lock danger is a myth IMO.

Oh no, I get your point. That's why I brought up the leg locks. That's what Fadda's team use to win most of the matches. Then "coincidentally" leg locks are considered cheap and reaping is evil and bla bla bla. I'm just using leg locks as an example of Fadda's erasure.
    Ah I see. I think I was just paying too much attention to the ibjjf rules part

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I definitely agree that we wouldn't be here if it weren't for the Gracies. But I think it's important to know about the true history of jiu jitsu. I think too many people use their lineage as a means to discredit other ways of doing jiu jitsu. I'm for sure appreciative of the things the Gracies have done for jiu jitsu. I'm not a fan of how they took credit for its creation and then sought to turn it into something only for those with money.
    Honestly, it makes no difference to me. Jiu Jitsu is still something to do for people with money. Few places allow free training, and the average cost of jiu jitsu is probably around 100 dollars a month. I've seen more and more people leave due to the monetary strain its put on them.
    1) It costs money to get something going,
    2) It costs money to keep it going
    3) Promotion/Marketing costs money grass roots will only get you so far.
    4) Why would you market to a demographic that couldn't continue to support your dream of growing jiu jitsu.

Whether you were trying to strike it rich or not, starting a fledgling idea and getting it more mainstream is going to cost money. Jiu Jitsu at that time was tiny, and when you market it to a group that can pay your idea will grow. If you market it to a group that can barely make ends meet it will only grow so much. I think now as jiu jitsu is larger, teaching jiu jitsu for free to underprivileged, or less fortunate definitely is a great idea. Because although small its not as microscopic as it was when it started it can be grown through persistence, because of media & other outlets (UFC, Bellator, etc.)

Array

School
    Why rush to kill yourself for 50 years in pursuit of money, just so you can retire and enjoy life, when you can enjoy it now, regardless of whether you have money or not.

Why take advantage of each other when we can grow together.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Why rush to kill yourself for 50 years in pursuit of money, just so you can retire and enjoy life, when you can enjoy it now, regardless of whether you have money or not.

Why take advantage of each other when we can grow together.
    I agree happiness and money are two completely different things. However, if you're looking to promote and get more people on board with something you love, you have to have that passion, but it definitely helps to have a solid financial backing.

Array

School
    You're right. But if the prestige is more important than thelove....

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    you can get jiu jitsu fro free in brazil. the brazilians there are great and are extremely open minded. you will get much more flak for being a gringo there, than being a part of 10th planet.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    ya'll are all gonna have hits out on you if you keep talkin this jibba jab. gracies invented combat. period.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast