Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor

Can't perform a granby, any suggestions?

Hey guys, so I am a bigger guy and I can do all of the other mat movements ok such as shrimp, reverse shrimp, roll etc.. but I can not for the life of my do a granby or roll back and put my feet on the floor behind my head. Any suggestions how to improve this or do it?

Array

School
    HQ
    Keep doing them.

thread

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    "Everybody can Granby."
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10th Planet Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce Kim View Post
    Keep doing them.

thread
    this

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Generally, it's a neck/back flexibility issue, a core strength issue, or your belly is too big and it's in the way issue. Or some combination of the 3.

Practice the plow stretch (the total inversion, trying to touch your toes to the mat) with your triceps on the floor and your hands supporting your hips. Developing comfortability and flexibility in this position will help you tremendously. It will take you time, but it's worth it to be able to move your body.

Don't fall into the "I'm big so I can't do this move" trap; that's a crutch and it's something you tell yourself to keep your ego from being crushed by not being able to do something easily and/or to keep you from having to work harder than you are comfortable working. I used to be overweight and lazy, so I know this trap very well.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Combat Base
    Brandon is spot on with his post from my experience. I have problems comfortably putting my knees behind my head and touching the floor with my knees because I'm a lard ass at the moment at 220 pounds at 5ft 11. My gut turns into a solid fat boulder when I invert, but when I go down to under 190 lb (and I'm steadily working towards that goal by losing a pound of blubber a week) I can hold the full inverted position no problem. I am obsessive about flexibility work though and it is indeed one of my favourite parts of my training. Try to carve out some time in your week for dedicated stretching and if you could enter the fat ass olympics, take a tip from the 27 time Mundial champ, and earn that black fruit and veg t-shirt - good luck in your granby goal.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    There are three specific stretches for this, that I teach. You don't just want to be able to "get" inverted. You want to be able to "fight" inverted. There is a tremendous difference. I start all of my berimbolo seminars and privates with the same three.

The first is the half-plow. It's like a plow, but your knees will stay on one side of your arms while you try to touch you far shoulder to the mat. Do both sides. You will hold these positions for 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off. 5 rounds.

The second is the reverse press. It starts off as a standard plow, then you progress by extending your toes to the ceiling, until your entire body is vertical and you are balancing on nothing but your neck and shoulders. Hands by your side. Slow rise to a 10 second hold with slow decent to 10 second rest. 5 rounds.

The third is a stretch my guys call the inchworm. You will begin face down with your body straight and hands by your sides. Turn the head to one side. Then, while keeping you knees straight, bring your hips up and rotate your head under them. You should now be completely inverted with your toes on the floor. Then, follow that motion through the other direction until you are back in your resting postion. Turn your head the opposite way, and repeat. 5 on each side with a 10 second rest between movements.

These are the drills I give my guys that want to increase their mobility and gain the ability to fight inverted.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Also, those three stretches range in difficulty. I wrote them in order from least to most difficult. Just getting comfortable with the first set of stretches will make granbys much easier.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Try bringing your bottom knee close to your forehead an then roll over your shoulders. I had a similar issue in the beginning an this helped me.

Array

School
    In my mind
    I absolutely love everyone's first attempt at the inchworm! I looked more like a tubby grub :-). That drill is a golden nugg Sean.