Array

School
    Ronin

MTS Episode that changed your life…?

Hey guys,

I've got over 70 episodes of MTS to catch up on. I'm really enjoying learning things that I've not been taught before in class. Every now and then I've come across an episode where a details, sometimes a really small one, is given to me that changes the way I subsequently grapple. I will give two examples, be great if you guys can do the same

MTS 41: Eddie is showing his students why most of us can't do the Armbar like Rousey can (our huge swinging movement is slower than the opponent just pulling their arm out). This was the first time the importance of locking the shoulder and getting the deep hook was really engrained in my memory. Since then I've really improved my armbar game.

MTS 54: UK PART 1: Eddie is explaining 1/4 clinch (although I've taken the principle and applied it to half guard too). He really enforces upon the UK crowd the importance of gaining the underhook when on top or bottom. An additional point is that you should be pushing the bicep of the opposite arm away until you have secured the nearside underhook (I have since seen Pablo Popovitch and Mike Fowler say they use this concept (pushing the far bicep away) to stop passing too). Finally, something else I really didn't know, when you are in 1/4 guard you don't want a high underhook, you want a low underhook. This makes getting to dog fight much easier as the guys weight is not on top of you.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Damn that's a hard one. They have all influenced me in one way or another. Most recently the Hindu Control has planted it's roots in my game. If I get to any rubber guard position I go straight into Hindu. That's really only a couple minutes of one episode. Anyways I'll have to put some thought into it.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Damn that's a hard one. They have all influenced me in one way or another. Most recently the Hindu Control has planted it's roots in my game. If I get to any rubber guard position I go straight into Hindu. That's really only a couple minutes of one episode. Anyways I'll have to put some thought into it.
    Ha. I remember watching the episode where Eddie first showed the Muddy Waters and I thought that was going to change the way I grappled from that very second, but as of yet I haven't really used it. I've tried a couple of times and I've drilled it, but I've not quite sussed it yet. What I struggle with is that it feels not quite as tight as much of Eddie's stuff. I'm sure it is just because I've not put in the reps yet, but I feel the opponent has ability to bounce and go crazy whilst I only control one side.

One that has clicked for me (as you have seen in another post) is the Rexangle / Gunshow control, which I picked up very quickly - I think it is a cousin to the Hindutine you mention. I find that these positions feel very, very tight and you have a number of options you can go to very quickly. Essentially, it feels as good as getting invisible collar, but is a lot quicker as you do not have to double bag or risk clearing the neck to get to it. Everything stays tight (which I guess is Eddie's clinch style BJJ 101).

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    Some of my favorite episodes are the three "studying tape" episodes where Eddie commentates over some of his rolls. These are amazingly helpful as they give you an idea of what is going through his head and what he's looking for during his rolls. I've probably watched those episodes more than any other. I hope he comes out with more "studying tape" episodes!

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Boor View Post
    Some of my favorite episodes are the three "studying tape" episodes where Eddie commentates over some of his rolls. These are amazingly helpful as they give you an idea of what is going through his head and what he's looking for during his rolls. I've probably watched those episodes more than any other. I hope he comes out with more "studying tape" episodes!
    Couldn't agree more, I learn LOADS from those short clips (and the detailed explanations). Wish there were more of these in every MTS episode.

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    This.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10th planet sf
    Totally agree with you on that one Ryan, I've watched those three episodes so many times, picking up something new from them each time.
    I really hope he puts out more of them.
    Pretty please Eddie. =)

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Episode number 1.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    Episode number 1.
    The neck tie / Eddie rolling with students? Or do you just mean that your grappling mindset changed with that first episode?

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I became aware of a new universe within martial arts.