Thread: Ronin Bible

Ronin Bible

There could very well be some list on this anyway but thought I'd post it regardless!
    One of the big things I struggled with when starting out ronin was I wanted to twister every one right off the bat, I had no concept of open guard and my whole game was getting twister side (or a gogo from mount )and waiting! So I'd thought I'd ask you all: Guard, Half guard, side control, mount and back. Three things for any of them be it a submission, a tip or a transition.
    For me:
    Guard- breaking their posture is everything! Get on your hip to gain attacking angles and meat hooks= triangle city

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wilson View Post
    There could very well be some list on this anyway but thought I'd post it regardless!
    One of the big things I struggled with when starting out ronin was I wanted to twister every one right off the bat, I had no concept of open guard and my whole game was getting twister side (or a gogo from mount )and waiting! So I'd thought I'd ask you all: Guard, Half guard, side control, mount and back. Three things for any of them be it a submission, a tip or a transition.
    For me:
    Guard- breaking their posture is everything! Get on your hip to gain attacking angles and meat hooks= triangle city

Open Guard Passing and using the Pressão

Array

School
    Oak Cliff Jiu-Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wilson View Post
    For me:
    I am such a noob, it's insane. BUT pulling half guard, wrapping up "the lock down" and executing the "Electric Chair" works! I get someone in it every night at the place I train at.

Also, if I can't get the electric chair, somehow I'm able to end up sweeping them, ending up with a top mount. From there I usually get the rear naked choke or they are just stuck with me in the mount. Super cool!

Array

School
    Ronin
    I find that Eddie has helped me be able to think: if my opponent does this, then I do that. Here is an example

Top Mount:

Arms behind your back: Monoplata.
    Arms Low: Mounted Triangle.
    Arms T-Rexed: Slam one down as if Kimora'ing then underhook with other arm and go for head arm.
    MMA: Punch head to get angle for swim move.

Array

School
    10th Planet Cookeville TN - Upper Cumberland MMA
    Learn a basic 10P positions...lockdown, mission control, etc. Use it while rolling (or in comp)...and get fucked up because u only know the basic position. It's okay. The...Learn why u got fucked up, learn the path, learn the options...use them and become successful. This builds your confidence, and thus enhances your motivation to repeat this process with yet another position. Before you know it. ..you're tying them together into your own 10P game

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tupper View Post
    Learn a basic 10P positions...lockdown, mission control, etc. Use it while rolling (or in comp)...and get fucked up because u only know the basic position. It's okay. The...Learn why u got fucked up, learn the path, learn the options...use them and become successful. This builds your confidence, and thus enhances your motivation to repeat this process with yet another position. Before you know it. ..you're tying them together into your own 10P game
    Agreed! I had a guy who came to me once and was talking to me about my rubber guard:

'I never use rubber guard' he said, 'the guy on top always passes'. I wasn't that surprised, this is a normal complaint by people who haven't really used rubber guard much. 'How much have you used it?' I asked him (expecting him to say a couple months). 'About 4 times, I think' he replied.

It always makes me laugh when people think that if something in JJ doesn't work the first time or even the first 500 times it must instantly be dropped. It is like starting boxing and because you didn't knock someone out with the cross you just got shown deciding you are never throwing a cross again.