Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    The question was if they are

Legal, socially acceptable, and administered under the care of a professional.

Y'all are bringing up social issues. He excludes those in the initial question. Which is one of the reasons I answered "absolutely."

The only moral hang up left would be the idea of cheating. But cheating is breaking rules. Do any grappling organizations say that PEDs are cheating? IBJJF tests the Black Belts. Any others?

And I hear people talk about how they wanna be a "natural" athlete. Is there really any such thing? These same "natural" athletes take ungodly amounts of protein, caffeine, creatine, etc... There's nothing natural about getting jacked up on that pre-workout stuff so you can lift in a gym that a dude in the favelas doesn't have access to. Don't we all come equipped with our own set of advantages? That's the exciting part of sports. The idea of a level playing field is a fallacy. It can't exist.
    Sorry, I misunderstood the question then.

If they were totally safe and allowed in competition then I might think about it. I'd like to think I still wouldn't, but I take protein powder, so if steroids were as readily available and socially acceptable then I guess I'd be ignorant to say I wouldn't. That said, I'd like to think that if I took them and I felt they made me more aggressive or negatively affected me I'd be able to pull myself off them.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    No.

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    I wouldn't take anabolic roids, but I'd take hgh in a second. I've actually been on trt before, and I don't really recommend it unless you actually have severe hypogonadism (I don't). Fwiw, once I began to eat right, and stay active, my T-level rose over 400 point naturally, and that was after I had gone back off trt cold turkey.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    The question was if they are

Legal, socially acceptable, and administered under the care of a professional.

Y'all are bringing up social issues. He excludes those in the initial question. Which is one of the reasons I answered "absolutely."

The only moral hang up left would be the idea of cheating. But cheating is breaking rules. Do any grappling organizations say that PEDs are cheating? IBJJF tests the Black Belts. Any others?

And I hear people talk about how they wanna be a "natural" athlete. Is there really any such thing? These same "natural" athletes take ungodly amounts of protein, caffeine, creatine, etc... There's nothing natural about getting jacked up on that pre-workout stuff so you can lift in a gym that a dude in the favelas doesn't have access to. Don't we all come equipped with our own set of advantages? That's the exciting part of sports. The idea of a level playing field is a fallacy. It can't exist.
    I mean even under the care of a professional, wouldn't you still suffer side effects. Steroids are mostly synthetics, there's no easy way to come back from prolonged usage.

What is your thought on Gene manipulation in children, ie adjusting their genes so they are taller, faster, stronger, less prone to disease, etc. (Think Gattica)

However, if you told me 99.9% of people wouldn't experience any side effects, and there were no health issues later in life, it was easily accessable/Allowed for everyone who was competing in whatever sport you do, best believe I'd jump on something like that.

Array

School
    Gb Knox/Kmaa
    I think perhaps the biggest reason they ARE illegal, is that if they were legal, and socially acceptable, all that jazz... You'd pretty much HAVE to use them if you wanted to compete. And at least some do have nasty side effects. That said, is that a sacrifice I'd make if I was 18 and thought I had the potential to be a world beater in bjj? Yeah sure. But then how many 18 year olds THInk they can be a world beater, would be doing everything their pharmacist would throw at them, only to be sitting with a stack of health problems, and no world championship gold.

My medical knowladge is not world class, but the way it seems is there's some stuff that's safe, some that's not... But if it's an accepted part of the sport "safe" becomes a foot note after "effective". We are willing to gamble for greatness.... Some times to much. For every Jacare who became a legend letting Roger snap his arm, how many weekend warriors just have broken arms or blown out knees from the same courage?
    Last edited by Larry Williams, Jr.; 06-30-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Array

School
    Kraken BJJ, Colorado Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kietzman View Post
    So do you take other supplements and what makes those different in your opinion?
    Yes I take hemp protein from trader joes and vitamins when I can. These don't give me a dramatic increase on my performance. The stuff like TRT or roids is that they will increase your performance to a level that would've taken you years to get to normally. I do think it is cheating but don't want to use that word because the definition of cheating is to "act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination". Isn't it unfair that this person has the ability to go to a world class gym a couple blocks from their house because they can afford it while another person has to drive 45 minutes to go to a lower end gym and can only go once or twice a week. I think that's an unfair advantage even though they didn't do anything dishonest. Put the person in the lower end gym in the world class gym and they might be way better than the other because they have the same opportunities and same resources. That's not the same as putting a needle in your butt but let's say that two people have the same economic situation, health situation, and training situation. If one takes a steroid while the other doesn't, that's unfair.
    Last edited by JiuJitsuJunkie420; 06-30-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Array

School
    Kraken BJJ, Colorado Springs
    I agree with Brandon. Just genetics make the playing level unfair, now you gotta through in life as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    My thoughts in general are: if things grow or are produced on the earth by the earth with minimal human processing it is all good. But if it requires synthesizing chemical compounds and creating a pharmaceutical then I have an issue with putting it into my body unless absolutely necessary for survival.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    People keep saying "what if its under the care of a physician" as if that would some how make it safe, which is isn't. Just look at all the people "under the care of a physician" taking pain killers. How did that work out?

When I watch 2 people fight, I wanna see the guy who trained harder have the advantage, not the guy who's doctor allowed him to shoot more steroids into his ass.

Array

School
    Combat Base
    What's good enough for Royce is good enough for me. All drugs should be legal, especially in sports, just think of the possibilities. For example, mma has become generic now and an injection of intrigue is definitely needed. I say make only one drug available for each fighter and then just as the old mma fighters used to represent their art, the fighters could represent their drug of choice. Cannabis versus steroids, speed versus alcohol, lsd versus coke - now that's entertainment.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast