Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sounds pretty cool, interested to see what happens down the road. I think when learning/teaching anything, including jiu jitsu, i think understanding what you want to accomplish/express is important. Some moves in jj work better gi, no gi, mma, self defense, point format, sub only, body type, etc.

Z-guard at a high level is difficult to be passed or submitted from, but often in mma someone utilizing Z-guard gets smashed in the face with punches. Although I'm a big fan of the lockdown, which works no gi and mma, it seems difficult to use when facing an opponent who has a considerable advantage in terms of weight and strength. Although those are technique based ideas, the same thought process can be applied and expanded to bigger and broader ideas/concepts, like strengthening defense over offense, or developing bottom game over top game.

Just a couple ideas of certain approaches being more or less efficient depending on certain context. I think understanding what you want to accomplish/express will create belief in what you are learning/teaching, and i think having that belief will make the journey that much easier.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Don't worry about the taps, it builds character. Focus on the fun part of Jiu Jitsu, the offense, and throw some defense in there too but I've known quite a few very good defensive Jiu Jitsu players that were super defensive minded and they ended up quitting because they got bored. Defense is huge but offense is even bigger in my opinion. Look at Marcelo, he's on the attack most of the time, like a quarterback sitting in the pocket keeping his eyes on his recievers NOT the defensive lineman out to crush him, he's got those dudes in his peripheral. Imagine if a QB dropped back in the pocket and looked linebackers in the eye as they rushed, he would never complete a pass.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    ??
    Last edited by VJ Bella; 06-27-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Array

School
    ??
    Last edited by VJ Bella; 06-27-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    I don't know as much about JJ but I do know a bit about youth wrestling. And more particularly what youth wrestling can do for your other grappling. I would take a close look at what his favorite wrestling offensive tactics were and find a way to mesh the two. Find the places where his wrestling meets up with his JJ or potentially can. I noticed for example when my kids were wrestling Freestyle that the Front Head lock they often grab for a gator roll would be a great set up for an Anaconda Choke. (They can't use that choke yet, but it's an example of what I mean.)

He was probably getting submitted because wrestlers end up in a lot of positions to avoid pins instinctively that make them vulnerable to submissions. Particularly chokes. My son went back to Judo/BJJ and had a rough time because he was giving up his back a lot. My daughter on the other hand went on the offensive and got a Rear naked Choke easily on a girl who outranked her just due to her new mat sense from 7 months of wrestling.

Another thing I would say is be sure he doesn't give up the work ethic and conditioning of a wrestler, as it generally is superior to most other types of grappling.

I linked this video once before but this kid is a destroyer who medals in Wrestling, Judo, and BJJ, Gi and No Gi. This video is from early in his career. He has since gone on to Pan Ams and winning Naga frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV06_SQTUIU

Array

School
    ??
    Last edited by VJ Bella; 06-27-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12