Array

School
    Ronin

Cardio training for competitions?

Hi Guys,

Wondering if any of you do circuits, etc in addition to upping the intensity of your grappling as competitions come up. Typically I've done Tabata or round based training using kettlebells, deadlifts, Burpees, etc, but I'm not sure whether I want to change too much about what I'm doing right now (training 6 days a week: 3 hard & sparring based, 3 light & technique based) as I seem to be progressing every day and enjoying everything I'm doing.

The competitions I'd be looking to enter are all 5 minute rounds, wait 15-20 minutes then do the next round (if you win obviously), and so on.

Just thought I'd ask the comp veterans.

Marc

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne & Perth Hotbox
    Burpees are always good, personally I like to use the concept 2 rower or do tabata on the treadmill combined with another exercise of your choice. Deadlifts I have always left by themselves as it's hard on the system and I don't like compromising my lift, also I make sure I do it on a light training day to give my hips and legs a rest, but that said I know lots of guys who do them in a circuit after rowing or running. Otherwise try and get a copy of Martin Rooney's book 'Training For Warriors'