Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

6 to 12 elbows in MMA

I hear Joe Rogan talk about this rule quite often in the UFC. I have the highest of respect for Joe, but I have to respectfully disagree with the explanation that he gives. When watching the Jones vs Teixeira event last night, he was explaining how it was a stupid rule that was only brought in because they had seen karate guys hitting blocks and busting them, then realized that it was "dangerous."

I truly believe that this rule is really more closely related to the Soccer Kick to the head. When you are striking with your elbow/forearm directly downward with no arc at all, you are giving the head nowhere to go and it has to absorb the entirety of that impact. Just like if you had a guy with his head pinned against the cage and mat, or if you had someone with his head on the mat, and they got kicked.. it could presumably cause serious damage to the skull. Thats exactly why we are taught to always keep our heads up in MMA.

In my opinion 12-6 should be legal when standing, but not on the ground.
    I don't personally think that this rule is as ridiculous as Joe insists.
    What are your thoughts everyone?

what if he is against the cage, do you then disallow 3-9, the problem is you can use the same exact mechanics as a 12-6, yet it is 3-9, 10-4, etc. When Travis Browne hits his counter takedown elbows against the cage it is the same general mechanics and point of impact as a 12-6 elbow, but it is legal. Highly effective and devastating but legal. The problem is how many degrees off of vertical do you begin to calling it illegal.

I think the only issue should be if it is hitting the back of the head and or spine.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    BTW I MEANT 12 to 6 elbows lmao cant believe nobody gave me crap for that one yet ;p
    Said it right in the post but the title is just sad lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Attachment 3013
    It is a bit easier to show what i mean with a simple illustration. In the case of Travis Browne he has an arc on his elbows. If you do a true 12-6 elbow you cannot hit any other angle whether it be 3-9 or 10-4. It is straight downward.

From reading a bit into the subject they claim to have went into detail to explain the rule on the Nevada Commission site. I have not checked it out yet but from my understanding its the 12-6 elbow i illustrated that is illegal and I do believe there is decent basis for that.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    A powerful, well placed elbow does a great deal of damage, regardless of what angle it's coming from. The 12 - 6 thing is irrelevant believe me. Quantity and quality of elbow strikes are the only factors worthy of discussion.

Array

School
    The den fight center kingslynn
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    A powerful, well placed elbow does a great deal of damage, regardless of what angle it's coming from. The 12 - 6 thing is irrelevant believe me. Quantity and quality of elbow strikes are the only factors worthy of discussion.
    dam right they do

i can see why peopel don't like 12-6 elbows though but then again from my thinking surely hitting a elbow like jones did to vera in theory does more damage could be wrong so if i am go gentle with me

Quote Originally Posted by stan myaskovskiy View Post
    Attachment 3013
    It is a bit easier to show what i mean with a simple illustration. In the case of Travis Browne he has an arc on his elbows. If you do a true 12-6 elbow you cannot hit any other angle whether it be 3-9 or 10-4. It is straight downward.

From reading a bit into the subject they claim to have went into detail to explain the rule on the Nevada Commission site. I have not checked it out yet but from my understanding its the 12-6 elbow i illustrated that is illegal and I do believe there is decent basis for that.
    You can hit any of those elbows with an arc or straight. Bring your elbow up and back by your head then strike downward and it has an arc, lift it straight up then bring it straight down it is straight, both are illegal and I would tend to think the arcing one has more power. Same with the sideways elbow, you can throw it arc'd or straight depending on the mechanics. It is the same motion just on a different plane. If you were in guard hug around their head with one arm and throw an elbow parallel to the ground, impacting on the top of the head that would be legal. If he were to pick you up and stand straight up, you held onto guard and you threw the exact same strike while he was standing, it would now be perpendicular to the ground and illegal. It would also probably have less power because you could no longer effectively use your guard to pull him into the elbow.

The 12-6 is ridiculous, its to ambiguous and dependent on positioning, the spine is already off limits, that is good enough.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    I would trade elbows altogether to get back soccer kicks.

Pride never die.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    I absolutely agree with you... the savagery of 6 to 12 elbows is unparalleled and gruesome to behold. Just you try to watch this video without cringing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLUKJdkvu5w

Poor Fryklund. When this happened, my first thought was literally, "ZOMG! DID HE DIED!?" Literally. (I can use this word in this manner if I like because it is in the dictionary, you guys.)

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    I love the arcing 6 to 12! ;p
    its the no arc pure bone to face 12-6 i was wonderin about lol.