Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness

Study Says Wearing a 10th Planet Rashguard Might Make Your 10P Jiu Jitsu Better

During the recent fake belt incident, I went looking for psychology info on how a lot of people give more respect to someone wearing a white coat or higher ranking uniform. I was wondering if wearing a fake uniform or rank for long enough would have an effect on the wearer that would make them start to believe in their own fake ranking. Found this interesting study.

link to article shown below
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-man-literally

According to a study by Hajo Adam and Adam Galinsky of Norwestern University, it's possible that these individuals not only look more professional, but subconsciously feel more professional. In other words, the clothes may literally make the man (or woman).

The study, published February in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, observed an interesting phenomenon: wear a white coat you believe belongs to a doctor, and you'll be more focused. Wear a white coat you believe belongs to a painter, and you won't see that improvement.

It's been well-established—in the scientific literature and real life—that what we wear affects how others perceive us. Women who wear more masculine clothes to an interview (such as a dress suit) are more likely to be hired. People dressed conservatively are perceived as self-controlled and reliable, while those wearing more daring clothing are viewed as more attractive and individualistic.

We've recognized these distinctions since childhood—we learn what's appropriate to wear to school, to interviews, to parties. Even those confined to uniform convey their own unique style in an attempt to change how they are perceived by others.

This new study contributes to a growing field known as "embodied cognition"—the idea that we think with not only our brains, but with our physical experiences. Including, it seems, the clothes we're wearing.

Adam and Gallinsky explored this notion in three simple experiments:

In the first experiment, 58 participants were randomly assigned to wear either a white lab coat or street clothes. They were then subject to an incongruity task in which they had to spot items that didn't belong to a set (for instance, the word "red" written in green ink). Those in white coats made half as many errors as those in street clothes.

Next, 74 participants were subject to one of three conditions: wearing what they believed to be a doctor's coat, wearing a painter's coat, or simply seeing a doctor's coat nearby. They then underwent a sustained attention task, studying two similar pictures side-by-side in order to spot the four minor differences between them (not unlike these fun little tasks designed to keep a kid busy for...well, a few minutes anyway). Those who believed they were wearing a doctor's coat (which was, in fact, identical to the painter's coat) spotted more differences than the other two test groups.

Finally, participants wore either doctors' or painters' coats, and were instructed to examine a doctor's lab coat displayed in front of them. They then wrote essays on their opinion of each coat type. Once again, they were tested for sustained attention ("spot the difference"). Again, those wearing the coat saw the greatest improvement in the task. Simply looking at the item, then, does not affect behavior.

According to Galinsky, we must see and feel the clothes on our body—experience it in every way—for it to influence our psyche.

The symbolic meaning of a doctor's lab coat is clear. Physicians are careful, hardworking, and attentive. Do the psychometric testers in my lab become doctors—mentally—when they decide to put on a white coat? Do police officers feel braver on duty in uniform than they normally would in street clothes? Perhaps more importantly, does one dressed as an M&M for Halloween become chocolate?

Another important question remains. Do the cognitive changes last for long periods, or do they eventually wear off? Will one always feel more focused and attentive in a white coat, or will one habituate? According to Galinsky, further research is needed.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    All my 10th Planet rashies give me super powers. I thought they did that for everybody?

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Honestly, I do feel an increased sense of swagger when I wear my 10p gear. It was really apparent when I got my first 10p rashie. I distinctly remember talking about this to Tyler and Brandon. I dunno if the feelings worn off or if I've just grown accustomed to it, but I don't have that same sensitivity to the feeling.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Here's a link to the journal article if you're interested: http://www.utstat.utoronto.ca/reid/s...oatarticle.pdf

I'll run the study if you guys supply the 10p rashguards!

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    All my 10th Planet rashies give me super powers. I thought they did that for everybody?
    I agree, I've said it since day 1 of the alien rashguard, my jiu jitsu changed that day and I got my 10p powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Kavanagh View Post
    I agree, I've said it since day 1 of the alien rashguard, my jiu jitsu changed that day and I got my 10p powers.
    The Chinese call it "Qi".

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post

Well then bring on the blue bio mech rashie I just ordered today!

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post

Women call it "Man Essence"

Array

School
    That's why I will never wear a 10P rashie out to the bars. It is not fair to anyone, including the women that wait in line.

Array

School
    The 10P rashie has a similar effect as the 3 wolf Moon shirt, except it is all REAL and not a joke.

(Read the reviews if you don't know what I am talking about and you need a lol)
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-T.../dp/B002HJ377A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast