Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round

Looking for help understanding youth BJJ rules...

It will be a little while before my kids are ready to compete in BJJ, but aside from the training they need I have been trying to make heads or tails of Youth BJJ rules. They seem to be different in every single tournament and it makes it hard for me to envision a strategy of what the kids should drill and what submissions they should practice for.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kiernan View Post
    It will be a little while before my kids are ready to compete in BJJ, but aside from the training they need I have been trying to make heads or tails of Youth BJJ rules. They seem to be different in every single tournament and it makes it hard for me to envision a strategy of what the kids should drill and what submissions they should practice for.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    my advice, just train to learn and for the love of the art. Dont worry about the rules, they are all over the place. Every organization has their own sets of rules. Although most are TRYING to follow the IBJJF standard. For the most part, stay away from attacks below the belts, no twister, and no omoplatas. Kids are very limited as to what they can do. You will have plenty of yime to review all the rules for each tournament you enter. I wouldnt worry about it to much. Cora practice the twister, the truck, ankle locks, all of which you will never see in her highlight videos because alll of those are illegal. Why you think she never attempted any jiu claw??

Array

School
    RGA NYC
    Always check the rules for the different organizations and train accordingly.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Anaconda Choke? North/South Choke?

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    [QUOTE=Neil Kiernan;240829]Anaconda Choke? North/South Choke?[/QUOT

to be on the safe side... just make sure all chokes have an arm in. For example: N/S choke without arm is illegal. Trianlge choke without arm is illegal. Just make sure the arm is in. That should be across the board for any tournaments.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    [QUOTE=Cora Sek;240842]
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kiernan View Post
    Anaconda Choke? North/South Choke?[/QUOT

to be on the safe side... just make sure all chokes have an arm in. For example: N/S choke without arm is illegal. Trianlge choke without arm is illegal. Just make sure the arm is in. That should be across the board for any tournaments.
    If memory serves Anaconda has the arm in, and it transitions easy from the freestyle wrestling front headlock/gator roll.