Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gi surprises?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield

Gi surprises?

So as some of you know, I've dedicated time to study the lockdown half-guard game. Tonight, while rolling, against another brown belt, I pulled off electric chair to stoner control, I didn't let the lockdown go because my partner is one of those scrabbly ex-wrestler types, when I realized there was a bow-and-arrow choke available. What was interesting about this is that I did not have to let go of the lockdown and could use both of my hands to grab and feed the collar. AND once the collar was fed, I used the lockdown, instead of what would normally be my arm hooking under the leg, to create that "bow" effect for the choke. Thought it was an interesting surprise that I'll add to the lockdown flow chart for my gi game.

Any other surprises I should expect with the gi?

Array

School
    Balance Studios, PA
    That's awesome. I'd love to see a video of it just incase I'm picturing it wrong. A gi surprise I had was it is really easy to control your opponent from mount with monkey mount. Instead of holding onto the forearm of my opponents free hand, I can just grip onto the gi and stretch his arm out.

Yeah I would love to see that also

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    video. would love to see it
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    I'll get this probably next week. Not training tonight and tomorrow there's a tournament I'm competing in: the CTBJJF. I suck at explaining BJJ, but the "adjustment" is that in normal bow-n-arrow you'd ideally like for your partner to be on their side, while here, because you're "locking the bottom leg instead of the top," they can't turn into you for the escape, so they can only turn away. For me, it meant a "flatter bow." Yeah, I suck at narrativizing this. I'll get a vid soon.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Please record and post!

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Combat Society
    I'm eagerly awaiting this one.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    So as some of you know, I've dedicated time to study the lockdown half-guard game. Tonight, while rolling, against another brown belt, I pulled off electric chair to stoner control, I didn't let the lockdown go because my partner is one of those scrabbly ex-wrestler types, when I realized there was a bow-and-arrow choke available. What was interesting about this is that I did not have to let go of the lockdown and could use both of my hands to grab and feed the collar. AND once the collar was fed, I used the lockdown, instead of what would normally be my arm hooking under the leg, to create that "bow" effect for the choke. Thought it was an interesting surprise that I'll add to the lockdown flow chart for my gi game.

Any other surprises I should expect with the gi?
    Dude, I would love to see this as well.

This is one of the things that makes me excited about doing 10p in a gi: feels like there's a lot left to be discovered.

Array

School
    Warrior Way (Caique)
    I like using an arm trap when you have an overhook combined with a 4 finger lapel grip to breakdown and set up rubber guard. It's very secure and if they are preoccupied reacting to your rubber guard, hitting kimuras on the trapped arm is pretty easy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Sorry it took a bit to record. I competed on Saturday and yesterday was no gi.

A few notes: 1) my friend sucks. video is blurry and he didn't tell me. 2) Forgive my stoner-form. I'm new to this and so is my partner. I was trying to get to the bow-n-arrow part of it but welcome any feedback on anything. 3) The one hand Bow-n-Arrow works. I had my partners play with it and the lockdown really is tight and torques nicely.

Finally: a few other discoveries. 1) The ezekiel choke is also there, whether the opponent's hands are in or out, it is THERE and nasty. Love that ezekiel from the back/side/front - they cannot escape that if they are playing with your hands for the choke.

As you notice, the bow-n-arrow is "flatter" than the standard one where you hook the leg. Don't matter. This version will both POP the head off of the opponent AND dislocate their hip.

More experimentation. (Again, please excuse the lockdown to e.c. to stoner form. still learning. pointers welcome). thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast