Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin

Eddie finally on BJJ Heroes

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/eddie-bravo

The article seems to go back and forth with its bias, at least on first impression.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Sigh... I thought it was really disrespectful of them to put it as "Full name: Edger Cano Nick Name: Eddie Bravo".... As if it wasn't legally changed to Bravo after his step-dad while he was child... Not like he even changed it as an adult or something. I feel like people call Eddie "Cano" to accuse him of being some sort of poser.

That part is straight up verifiably false (If I was Eddie I would probably send them an email) and there is a bunch of other questionable things in there. They also neglected to mention any of his wins at the adcc trials, putting his entire grappling career at 2 wins 1 lose and a draw... But Eddie had way more matches than that, ever seen "The Twister"?

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Just because these guys paid a whopping $10 to register a domain name with "Heroes" in it doesn't make them the official say on who is and isn't a "hero" within the JJ community. Lets stop acting like they have that credit and stop linking to their content like it matters.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    Agreed that it is totally irrelevant that he was born Cano. Once the Bravo name was in his family through his stepfather, that is indeed his "real" name. The funny thing is, it sounds like the kind of name Eddie himself would create. Maybe that is why an article like this one is out to prove it isn't real. But for all practical purposes, it is his real name.

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita/Ronin
    I'm gonna play devils advocate here. Admittedly i'm not a 10th planet guy and I don't know a huge amount about Eddie's personal back story. As for the name I don't know enough about it, however Eddie's Wikipedia page does mention he was born Edgar Cano. I think as far as the name goes its more of a format problem that comes of more disrespectful than intended. I think because the site mainly features Brazilians many of whom are known more by their nicknames the full name vs nickname is set up for a majority English speaking reading base to identify Brazilians. That being said I see how it could be offensive and I think Wikipedia has a better set up which should be adopted "Eddie Bravo (born Edgar Cano on May 15, 1970)".

As for the matches and record I really don't see the problem. I'm not sure what tournaments they actually measure but I know many aren't recorded (or even mentioned). There are many like that, for example Draculino has comp footage on his page but no record, Gustavo Dantas has a bunch of accomplishments and no record either. Baret Yoshida definately had more than 11 matches, his page lists 16 major accomplishments, yet he has a losing record according to his stats. It also mentions in the bio Eddie winning the ADCC trials, so I don't think its too controversial in terms of the rest of the site.

I'm sure in terms of the info there is probably things that aren't true, like I said I don't know enough about Eddies past to comment. However I will say it does look like there has been some research put in, as an outsider I had no clue about Eddies past martial arts training except for the wrestling.

The article probably has bias too. But it does credit Eddie for developing the twister and rubber guard, it praises him as a coach and suggests he was better than Royler in the rematch. It says 10th Planet "has not (yet)" overcome more "established" schools I guess you could take that a disrespect but to me it suggests 10th Planet is a newer school that is still growing. In the rubber guard technique page it blames the shorter rounds and unified MMA judging for it not being more widely adopted.

I think BJJ Heroes is a pretty good site and is one of if not the best source for BJJ info, a large portion of that info isn't on Wikipedia or is scattered all over the web and imo on the whole they do a pretty good job. Why not leave comments on their page if you feel something should be corrected? Of course I am a nobody and the only opinion that really matters is Eddies.

Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way

#pleasedontflamemetoobad

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita/Ronin
    That being said if Eddie was only just added to the site, I think thats more fucked up than the content of the Bio!

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Read it this morning and it looks like they listened to your complaints. Edited a few things.

My take, as a literary critic who is paid "to read between the lines," is that BJJ Heroes tried really hard to please the haters as well as the advocates. The page reads a bit schizo, but tries to mask it with quotes directly from Eddie's books. Their cards are revealed, though, when they try to explain the successful growth of 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu as the result of clever marketing ties to Joe Rogan. That is disingenuous and reeks of pandering the haters who've never tried the system but quickly say that because there is a person in a high profile position, it kinda spreads the message. It's true, but it doesn't speak to the veracity of the 10th Planet system. THAT is the MAJOR THING that was lacking. Veracity to the techniques. With that said, he's up there in a site some people think is legit. Perhaps there could be a page here called 10th Planet Heroes (or whatever) to introduce people to some Eddie's best students and instructors.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    Read it this morning and it looks like they listened to your complaints. Edited a few things.

My take, as a literary critic who is paid "to read between the lines," is that BJJ Heroes tried really hard to please the haters as well as the advocates. The page reads a bit schizo, but tries to mask it with quotes directly from Eddie's books. Their cards are revealed, though, when they try to explain the successful growth of 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu as the result of clever marketing ties to Joe Rogan. That is disingenuous and reeks of pandering the haters who've never tried the system but quickly say that because there is a person in a high profile position, it kinda spreads the message. It's true, but it doesn't speak to the veracity of the 10th Planet system. THAT is the MAJOR THING that was lacking. Veracity to the techniques. With that said, he's up there in a site some people think is legit. Perhaps there could be a page here called 10th Planet Heroes (or whatever) to introduce people to some Eddie's best students and instructors.
    Very well said.

Array

School
    I certainly never said that it matters. For the record, I've never actually even seen this site before yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eddy View Post
    Just because these guys paid a whopping $10 to register a domain name with "Heroes" in it doesn't make them the official say on who is and isn't a "hero" within the JJ community. Lets stop acting like they have that credit and stop linking to their content like it matters.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    Yes, that was essentially what I was referring to with "back and forth." They likely thought they were being subtle.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast