Array

School
    brandenburg judo. etown bjj and judo

4 Nasty Leglocks from Trurtle/Truck

This is my buddy Igor vasilev, he is a sambo champion and judo black belt. He also does mma and muay thai.

Array

School
    brandenburg judo. etown bjj and judo
    sorry meant Turtle/truck.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Doing the calf crank with the left arm (in this instance) is a bad idea on the whole because of the threat of the armbar.

Justin Rader used a beautiful truck entry against Samuel Braga, but as you can see in the video, Rader made the same mistake, got caught in the armbar and was unable to finish his leglock: https://youtu.be/4T1hlW3v05I?t=2m45s

Array

School
    AFS Academy/10th Planet Richmond, Richmond, Ky.
    With all due respect to Igor, there is much in this video that is very, very old, unevolved "truck" work and simply would be very difficult to pull off in today's grappling environment. For instance, the lack of the legs being locked in the "Figure 4" to hold the opponents leg would never hold a competent grappler and certainly not anyone properly schooled in 10th Planet. We have ways of escaping, albeit difficult, even when the legs are locked properly. Much less when they aren't.

Also, his "calf slicer" also has some problems. For one, he's trying to control the foot instead of the toes. Not only would the toe control cause far more pain due to the added leverage, but it's also very likely your opponent will escape by kicking free. You simply don't have enough control by holding the foot. However, the WORST of his calf slicer is that he is using both arms to try and control the leg. This leaves the other foot free to kick your hands off (not to mention your face) and even worse, it exposes that near (left) arm of his to be arm barred. THAT is a REAL DEAL threat that actually happens when people do the calf slicer wrong. That is a HUGE no-no.

Maybe HE can pull it off against top people, but I highly doubt it. Things have evolved too much. People are getting too well versed in the leglock game. It certainly will not work for most anyone else that may try this.

I notice that you are listing E-town as your school/location. We are in Richmond and you are welcome anytime. Eddie has visited our school twice now. We have guys that drive from as far as Bowling Green fairly regular and it's not uncommon, across the country, for interested students to drive 2-4 hours or more for regular training when they want something as specialized as 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Elliott View Post
    With all due respect to Igor, there is much in this video that is very, very old, unevolved "truck" work and simply would be very difficult to pull off in today's grappling environment. For instance, the lack of the legs being locked in the "Figure 4" to hold the opponents leg would never hold a competent grappler and certainly not anyone properly schooled in 10th Planet. We have ways of escaping, albeit difficult, even when the legs are locked properly. Much less when they aren't.

Also, his "calf slicer" also has some problems. For one, he's trying to control the foot instead of the toes. Not only would the toe control cause far more pain due to the added leverage, but it's also very likely your opponent will escape by kicking free. You simply don't have enough control by holding the foot. However, the WORST of his calf slicer is that he is using both arms to try and control the leg. This leaves the other foot free to kick your hands off (not to mention your face) and even worse, it exposes that near (left) arm of his to be arm barred. THAT is a REAL DEAL threat that actually happens when people do the calf slicer wrong. That is a HUGE no-no.

Maybe HE can pull it off against top people, but I highly doubt it. Things have evolved too much. People are getting too well versed in the leglock game. It certainly will not work for most anyone else that may try this.

I notice that you are listing E-town as your school/location. We are in Richmond and you are welcome anytime. Eddie has visited our school twice now. We have guys that drive from as far as Bowling Green fairly regular and it's not uncommon, across the country, for interested students to drive 2-4 hours or more for regular training when they want something as specialized as 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu!!
    100% agreed on all points. Even in Sambo it is taught not the grab with the inside arm, due to the armbar, super important detail to overlook. Also prior to falling back to the truck you never put your non-lacing leg's knee down on the mat as you can flip the truck if they do.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com