Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    And the train/fight/win guy hasnt won 1 tournament. Of any kind. He just started making vids. If your going to learn from someone, make sure they have effectively applied said technique.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm very interesting. I'll be more careful about using his videos to illustrate my thoughts.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    And the train/fight/win guy hasnt won 1 tournament. Of any kind. He just started making vids. If your going to learn from someone, make sure they have effectively applied said technique.
    I don't know about BJJ, but some of the best wrestling coaches of all time never even wrestled.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Which is preferable? Putting out a fire or stopping it from ever happening? If you want to be successful at wrestling, then make them escape through proper form, strategy, and positioning. Otherwise you will escape into another escape.
    Take down defense is going to be a big thing this year for her, the issue I was raising is that due to the strength gap the escapes she was using do not play to her attributes. So I was looking for some she can drill as an alternative.

I think as a general proposition most would agree that the best athletes do not necessarily make the best coaches and it is a fact that the best coaches in many sports have not necessarily competed at the highest level.

However while Angelo Dundee (Ali) and Cus D'Amato (Tyson) come to mind as pro boxing coaches who have had no or only liimted amateur experience I cannot off the top of my head think of any top class wrestling coaches who have not competed or as you say "even wrestled" let alone "some of the best wrestling coaches of all time." I would be interested to know who you have in mind.

If it happens in other sports the same should follow but I cannot think of an example in wrestling or BJJ.

As regards your daughter I am afraid that I do not see a technical solution. If the obvious and insuperable advantage boys have over girls is not apparent yet it will soon will be and increasingly so as the standard of wrestling competition increases. At what age would you accept that a girl simply cannot wrestle competitively against boys? I do not know if this situation arises in the US due to limited numbers or because of notions of equality but it can only lead to frustration and ultimately failure.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kiernan View Post
    I don't know about BJJ, but some of the best wrestling coaches of all time never even wrestled.
    Seems most of the greatest coaches, in any sport, were not stand outs as players.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterm View Post
    I think as a general proposition most would agree that the best athletes do not necessarily make the best coaches and it is a fact that the best coaches in many sports have not necessarily competed at the highest level.

However while Angelo Dundee (Ali) and Cus D'Amato (Tyson) come to mind as pro boxing coaches who have had no or only liimted amateur experience I cannot off the top of my head think of any top class wrestling coaches who have not competed or as you say "even wrestled" let alone "some of the best wrestling coaches of all time." I would be interested to know who you have in mind.

If it happens in other sports the same should follow but I cannot think of an example in wrestling or BJJ.

As regards your daughter I am afraid that I do not see a technical solution. If the obvious and insuperable advantage boys have over girls is not apparent yet it will soon will be and increasingly so as the standard of wrestling competition increases. At what age would you accept that a girl simply cannot wrestle competitively against boys? I do not know if this situation arises in the US due to limited numbers or because of notions of equality but it can only lead to frustration and ultimately failure.
    I don't think that this is as much about women's inability to compete with men in the sport as it is that statistically far fewer girls wrestle then boys. That number is starting to change. Yes, in raw strength there is an advantage but even up to high school there are girls who go all the way to the state championships and prevail. They don't wrestle the same way as their male counterparts generally.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/girl-wrestl...ry?id=18568975

Really? The girl to whom you refer won in the 106lb division and clearly only did so because she was facing pre pubescent boys.

There is no wrestling playing field that is going to be levelled by increased female participation. That is clear from judo which has a significant number of female participants world wide but no equality of the sexes.

If parents are happy about encouraging their daughters to enter mixed competitions -which I am not- it is fanciful to imagine that they will remain competitive as they age and meet fully matured boys who will present overwhelming advantages that cannot be overcome.

You do not appear to have attempted to justify your assertion that "some of the best wrestling coaches of all time have never wrestled."

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Grappling does seem to be different in that all best coaches/teachers/sensi/professor/whatever seems to be great grapplers in competition. Maybe they are the only ones that people will pay to learn from so they a=make up most of the teachers by default or maybe I dont know what I'm typing about.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterm View Post
    Really? The girl to whom you refer won in the 106lb division and clearly only did so because she was facing pre pubescent boys.

There is no wrestling playing field that is going to be levelled by increased female participation. That is clear from judo which has a significant number of female participants world wide but no equality of the sexes.

If parents are happy about encouraging their daughters to enter mixed competitions -which I am not- it is fanciful to imagine that they will remain competitive as they age and meet fully matured boys who will present overwhelming advantages that cannot be overcome.

You do not appear to have attempted to justify your assertion that "some of the best wrestling coaches of all time have never wrestled."
    That's a pretty crass attitude you have there. Making me less interested in talking to you. That said, particularly in youth levels I know a half dozen girls who regularly take 1st place at tournaments now. I will get back to you on the name of the coach who didn't wrestle.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    This is a whole nother topic. All we should be worried about is fixing her immediate problem.

You did bring up the sex and muscular development issue in your initial post, so thats why it digressed off topic.

Fact is a superior technical girl will run circles around all but the most elite of men. Will she be div 1? Maybe not. Will she be able to beat most men and damn near all women? Hell yeah. Just steer her down the most technical path. Above all else, technical proficiency reigns. More than strength, stamina, flexibility, .. everything.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast