Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Brendan Schaub responds to Joe Rogan #FighterAndTheKid

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    The message he was sending was out of love. Joe isn't trying to tear down or critique anyone for the hell of it, but completely understanding why Schaub is upset, he still has this dream that is alive and well in his mind. He's a warrior, no disrespect to him at all, but I think Joe is right on this one

Array

School
    Combat Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    His intention wasn't to tear Schaub down. It was to open his eyes to what mma is doing to his brain for a low chance of being elite.
    I know, Bro. Was just joking.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    I know, Bro. Was just joking.
    Sorry hard to tell via text
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I agree. It may have been "too close in time" to the loss (amplifies the humiliation he may feel), but it needed to be said.
    As someone who went through a breakup earlier this year, sort of reminds me of the same thing. People telling you all sorts of different things, and it varies from which person says it, what they say, and how you feel at the moment. I'm not a fan of Brendan out my way, but I care about the majority of human beings and do hope things work out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Morning Report: Joe Rogan and Brendan Schaub reflect on their controversial retirement discussion

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/1...white-mma-news

A few days removed from their emotionally charged conversation, UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub and commentator Joe Rogan each retreated to their own corners to reflect on the incident.

Recording an episode of Schaub's podcast for FOX Sports earlier this week, Rogan was critical of the former's recent first-round TKO loss to No. 3 heavyweight Travis Browne at UFC 181 on Dec. 6.

Rogan indicated a concern for Schaub's mental health, citing his multiple knockout losses in the UFC career dating back to 2009. Of Schaub's five career defeats, four have come via either KO or TKO. The lone exception being a split decision loss to Andrei Arlovski at UFC 174 in June.

Recalling the conversation on his podcast Wednesday, Schaub sounds as if he was blindsided by Rogan's comments.

"We're sitting down and, I mean, he literally just thrashes me to the fullest extent," Schaub said. "You heard me going 'huh, huh,' because if I would have spoke you would have heard me crying. I was trying not to cry. My phone blew up. I had 40-45 text messages from friends, family. People going, 'Walk out right now. Don't take this right now.

"I don't agree with Rogan. Some of his points I do agree with. There's some stuff when you lay it out and look at numbers I can see why he thinks I should move on [from fighting]. The truth is I make about as much doing this show as I do in the UFC. That's the truth, it's about identical."

Schaub said he understood Rogan's concerns and urges to pursue more creative endeavors rather than continue his fighting career, but that he believes he can still be elite in the UFC's heavyweight division.

"Do I think I can compete at a high level and still kind of do [the podcast]? 100 percent. 100 percent. I disagree with him there. It's a fine line between hanging it up and moving on and continuing to fight. Have I had concussions? 100 percent. It's documented. You've seen me in the UFC. I played football for 20 years. I'd rather live my life for 50 years being a warrior than live to 100 being a freaking gazelle. Being a peasant. 100 years as a peasant? Nah, I'll take the 50 glories."

Schaub said he eventually broke down in tears once he go home, not really knowing who to talk to about the conversation.

On his own podcast, Rogan gave his take on the awkward and emotional situation with Schaub.

"It was intense," said Rogan. "I still feel like s**t. I feel like s**t today. I felt like s**t while we were doing it.

"[Schaub] wanted to talk about it on the air and I asked him if he was sure. He was like, 'Yea absolutely. I want to get it out there. I want to hear exactly what you really think.' I'm sure what he thought I would think and what I did think was different. Then as we were talking I kind of realized, I feel like his perceptions of where he's at and the dangers of what has happened to him and the reality of where he's at and the dangers of what have happened to him were off."

Rogan admitted that the conversation likely should have been held in private, but that hopefully it would serve to help athletes form an educated opinion on chronic brain damage.

"I f***ing love that dude," Rogan said of Schaub. "He's really honest. He's really honest about everything except his fighting ability. I think his fighting ability, or his position, he's got a slightly elevated sense. But that's why he's a bad motherf***er. You have to have this sense that's almost distorted in order to be a fighter in the first place."

Rogan explained that while Schaub is supremely confident in his abilities as a fighter, that same spirit could be holding him back.

"If you lose and you start looking at yourself in a delusional way it can hamper your ability to work on all those areas. Any time you have a delusional perspective, an introspective outlook that's just not accurate, you're not doing yourself a favor. You need someone else to give you advice. You're not seeing things that you can correct. When you're in that state as a martial artist it becomes very dangerous."

Rogan then cited Schaub's 2011 KO victory of Mirko CroCop at UFC 128, saying it should serve as the ultimate example to prove his point.

"If Mirko CroCop and [Schaub] fought back when CroCop won the PRIDE heavyweight grand prix that would have been a completely f***king different fight," said Rogan. "That was a different guy back then ... and everybody knows it."

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Whatever way you look at it this was probably the best thing that has ever happened for Fighter and the Kids ratings.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    lol...Was that on purpose?
    LOL yeah. I feel bad for the guy to get that kind of public humiliation like a day after getting his ass handed to him, but I still don't like him. So i will still not refer to him by his name. It's Brenda, Brendan Slob, BS, Brenda Sob, or a combination of those. LOL. Only way he redeems himself is if he comes back to metamoris and takes his beating like a man or at least puts on great match.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    LOL yeah. I feel bad for the guy to get that kind of public humiliation like a day after getting his ass handed to him, but I still don't like him. So i will still not refer to him by his name. It's Brenda, Brendan Slob, BS, Brenda Sob, or a combination of those. LOL. Only way he redeems himself is if he comes back to metamoris and takes his beating like a man or at least puts on great match.
    Or do a wrestling match with Cain. Like Rogan was talking about.

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    This was an awesome display of honesty and deep insight from a fight expert. I prefer this to anything.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast