Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    Man I really wish there was a way I could get a couple videos from the Mendes training site to you. Rafa has a couple rolling sessions on there where he uses his legs during the darce (not marce) to either smash or peel away frame defenses. The defenses I saw aren't exactly the same as the picture day, but they're sort of similar.

Rafa doesn't seem to do it as much as the anaconda, but he does darce off the Rafaconda entry. Once rolls through and he presses down the trapped arm, sometimes he runs or rolls up to his knees switches arms through to darce. It keeps the trapped arm between his legs and makes it hard to make a frame like the picture day.

After he starts to choke he'll keep using his legs to break or peel frames if needed. If you've seen the Rafaconda then you know he uses his free legs to smash the trapped arm to deepen the RNC grip. Sort of the same idea with the darce. Once the choke is locked, he'll sit towards the feet and use his outside leg to either peel away the frame with his heel going through the space between the hand and the elbow of the framing arm, or he'll smash his inner thigh down onto the upper arm or elbow to break the structure of the frame.

Does that make any sense? Maybe you'll address the concept when/if you show a Rafaconda defense video, because it's honestly not that different.
    Totally makes sense. That's really the only Darce style choke I can still use with any success in our gym.

To be clear, the Picture Day frame is NOT gonna stop this choke variation. What it can do is buy you some time to get off your side and on to your knees, belly, or back (think Planking, a la Bobby Rivers defense) to eliminate the angle he is attacking you with.

Also, 2 hands in the frame is perfect, 1 hand is pretty good, too. In some cases, 1 hand is better because you need the free hand to perform another job. In the case of the Mendes Anaconda, you only have the luxury of 1 arm.

I think what makes that Rafaconda so effective is that it's sneaky. He locks up a deep head and arm and attacks your defensive angle before you can set the frame effectively. Prevention is your best bet in any of these chokes. If you have to pull yourself back from the brink of unconsciousness with the frames every time, you're gonna get caught some. And your neck is gonna be sore a lot. If you can preemptively stop your neck from being bent in the first place you're gonna be in much better shape.
    Last edited by Brandon Mccaghren; 12-23-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by vdesire View Post
    Would love to see the peruvian necktie stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Interesting. I'd be interested to know if this works against a PNT. But PNT's aren't really common
    I have zero faith in the Peruvian Necktie.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Quote Originally Posted by Apperz View Post
    Which videos are these?
    You have to be a member to see these, but I know one of them is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=yztWmlvCJeU In that you'll see an anaconda choke and then a darce choke. he uses the far leg to smash down their trapped arm to deepen the choke.

This is the best video to see of the Rafaconda in action. He does it like 4 or 5 times in a row: https://www.artofjiujitsu.com/online...ion-08-07-2012 if this site won't give you any free views, you can see it here.

http://gifsoup.com/view4/3410044/anaconda-choke-o.gif

Basically he thinks it's not efficient to try to fight the underhook with an overhook, so if he's trapped in half guard and they have an underhook, he grabs an arm-in guillotine grip and front rolls through half guard to take the power out of their underhook. From there he can use his legs to switch the anaconda (options 1), darce (options 2), or mount with the arm-in guillotine grip (options 3).

This is a good one with various setups for the anaconda and darce. There are 2 rolls in the video, and the 2nd one is where the good stuff is - https://www.artofjiujitsu.com/online...nogi-6-13-2013

He busted it his anaconda choke at his first ADCC in 09 when he was like 19 and used it in like every match. He's polished it up a lot since then, but I think most of those matches are on youtube. But I can only embed one video per post on here.

Last edited by Mike Nall; 12-23-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Irvine/CM
    Got fully locked in a darce last night and immediately put picture day to use. It worked and I was able to eventually get out. Good stuff thanks for the vid!

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    You have to be a member to see these, but I know one of them is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=yztWmlvCJeU In that you'll see an anaconda choke and then a darce choke. he uses the far leg to smash down their trapped arm to deepen the choke.

This is the best video to see of the Rafaconda in action. He does it like 4 or 5 times in a row: https://www.artofjiujitsu.com/online...ion-08-07-2012 if this site won't give you any free views, you can see it here.

http://gifsoup.com/view4/3410044/anaconda-choke-o.gif

Basically he thinks it's not efficient to try to fight the underhook with an overhook, so if he's trapped in half guard and they have an underhook, he grabs an arm-in guillotine grip and front rolls through half guard to take the power out of their underhook. From there he can use his legs to switch the anaconda (options 1), darce (options 2), or mount with the arm-in guillotine grip (options 3).

This is a good one with various setups for the anaconda and darce. There are 2 rolls in the video, and the 2nd one is where the good stuff is - https://www.artofjiujitsu.com/online...nogi-6-13-2013

He busted it his anaconda choke at his first ADCC in 09 when he was like 19 and used it in like every match. He's polished it up a lot since then, but I think most of those matches are on youtube. But I can only embed one video per post on here.

I am a member Thanks so much - off to watch and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Apperz View Post
    I am a member Thanks so much - off to watch and learn.
    Post back with what you think man. Those 3 videos are pretty good. if I can find the others I'll post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Totally makes sense. That's really the only Darce style choke I can still use with any success in our gym.

I think what makes that Rafaconda so effective is that it's sneaky. He locks up a deep head and arm and attacks your defensive angle before you can set the frame effectively. Prevention is your best bet in any of these chokes. If you have to pull yourself back from the brink of unconsciousness with the frames every time, your gonna get caught some. And your neck is gonna be sore a lot. If you can preemptively stop your neck from being bent in the first place you're gonna be in much better shape.
    Awesome! Yeah I tried to link a vid but AOJ/RVCA has taken down pretty much everything from their training site that users have ripped and uploaded (some of the bad ass ADCC prep rolls with Keenan Cornelius and Andre Galvao are gone). I had to try to explain it.

One other decent way to break the frame Ryan Hall shows on his arm triangles set. You retreat from the RNC grip to the vice grip and then use your head-side knee to break their frame. Once the hand is off the face, you can keep their arm between your legs and you should be good to finish in any number of ways without them being able to frame again.

image_8.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Nall; 12-23-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Just planking got me guillied after a while. Picture day fixed that.

I also don't trust the Peruvian. The Japruvian however.. Also transitioning to the baratoplata is a good option so be ready to catch his hand.

Array

School
    10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I used the picture day last night. I was smiling and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    You a bad mutha fucka Chris

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Ronin & Project: Cauliflower Ear
    Zog, you are awesome!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast