Array

School
    10th planet Ronin Ireland/ Pedro Bessa ballincollig

How to approach the techniques/ warm up drills. where to start?

hi,
    There is obviously a large amount of information on the site which is great. I was just wondering what is the best way to approach learning the techniques etc. should i start from mts 1 on and just drill a few techniques per week? or should i start off just learning the warmups. Ive heard eddie talk about the warm ups being important and I havent even checked out the thread yet. I am suffering from Information overload here. thanks in advance for your input!

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    Definitely check out and learn the warm up first! Once you've got a good understanding of those, then move on to other techniques (but always continue to drill the warm ups!)

Array

School
    Thanks Rhys!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Yup, start with the warm ups!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Cheers Chris!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    #wu4L :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Ronin
    I wrote this a while back... might help:

If you want to see the heritage then I'd say get Eddie's Three Books and Two DVDs to begin with. Work through them.

At the same time, begin work on the Warmups. Learn them, make them fluid. Eddie has tried to cover all bases with these - i.e. give students a little experience with everything (useful both when attacking and defending).

Watch Mastering The System - for fun. You will get a feel for Eddie's teaching style, believes and the 10th Planet culture. The biggest lesson I ever learned was from, what I imagine, was a throw away comment by Eddie 'Do not be the triangle guy'. I'd won many competitions relying on my triangle, Eddie's words and the explanation that followed showed me there was so much more to Jiu Jitsu than the triangle and I was holding myself back by clinging to my safety blanket.

If you do all this you will begin to see that Eddie's System has lots of patterns (the clinch style, for example), but also lots of tangents that you can - and are encouraged - to follow too. Orchard is a very different competitor to Denny, Denny very different to Geo, Geo very different to Ben Eddy, etc, etc.

I think what is so great with 10th Planet is that there is no curriculum - Eddie is all about evolution and as soon as you say 'you need to know this, this, this and this' you begin to narrow that or at least stunt experimentation. Again, using Orchard as an example, Eddie said he was never big on footlocker: Orchard went away and mastered them, came back to Eddie and blew his mind with a system he'd put together. The result of Eddie not enforcing a curriculum on his students was that he and they evolved and grew and continue to do so whilst other gyms - stemmed in tradition, and refusing to acknowledge techniques outside of their curriculums - are being left behind.
    That's coming at ya purely as an observation from a white belt ronin, so take it with a pinch of salt