Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ

Advice on a school

It's my intention to begin training in JJ. I live in Oklahoma City, where there is no 10th planet school that I am aware of. I have looked into the 4 schools in my city and the one that really stands out is Lovato's school of BJJ (http://okbjj.com/)

I see that they train both gi and nogi, and I've read interviews with Lovato where he makes it sound like his approach is very open minded and open to the evolution of the art.

I'm not really interested in gi, and because of my flexibility and TDK background I'm very interested in the 10th planet system.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or opinions about the school and it's students. I'm sure 10th planet guys have interacted with Raphael's guys at competitions.

What are they like? Are they going to get mad at me if I start practicing rubber-guard there?

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Lovato would be a pretty awesome place to train IMO but I don't know first hand, if you find a good no gi place to train you can still watch MTS and drill the system at your school. That's what I did for a long time and it's definitely improved my game big time. If any place you go to doesn't let you play rubber guard I would highly suggest walking away, everyone's game is vastly different, and it's pretty disgusting if an instructor tries to put boundaries on your individual style. Best of luck finding a gym bro!

Array

School
    10th planet San Francisco
    no personal experience but i would love to train with Lovato aside from the spammy stuff he should be awesome
    as far as 10 p stuff I doubt he would"not let you use it"

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    I've competed against them a few times, they always seem cool enough. If I were stuck in OKC, that's probably where I'd train. Although, I honestly don't know how the atmosphere is there regarding outside systems and such.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    Def stop by and introduce yourself to the instructor, let them know your goals and ask them if they'd be ok with u practicing RG, Truck, Lockdown, etc. I find that's the easiest way to make a dojo a "Ronin spot". Also ask them if you compete and down the road if/when 10th Planet becomes available in your area if they're ok with you moving on to represent 10th Planet (some instructors may end up feeling you're a part of their "crew" and may not take easily if/when you leave.

Let us know how it goes!.....

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    If I were in OKC, I would train at Lavato's without question. From what I hear he is a really open minded guy and Justin Rader is a fucking monster.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Lavato is going to be great. Rader is super cool. Everybody at every school I've ever been at experiments with far more than what is taught in class. Get training. Get on the mats!

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    It's my intention to begin training in JJ. I live in Oklahoma City, where there is no 10th planet school that I am aware of. I have looked into the 4 schools in my city and the one that really stands out is Lovato's school of BJJ (http://okbjj.com/)

I see that they train both gi and nogi, and I've read interviews with Lovato where he makes it sound like his approach is very open minded and open to the evolution of the art.

I'm not really interested in gi, and because of my flexibility and TDK background I'm very interested in the 10th planet system.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or opinions about the school and it's students. I'm sure 10th planet guys have interacted with Raphael's guys at competitions.

What are they like? Are they going to get mad at me if I start practicing rubber-guard there?
    My bro Jason Greer is at Altus, OK. I'm not sure how far that is from OKC. But he's the man you want to talk to in regards to 10thplanet in OK. Here is his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/jason.greer.393?fref=ts

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I'd LOVE to train with Lovato and Rader. 2 of the greatest American grapplers of all time.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ (SousaBJJ.com)
    How about you just go to a Great school like Lovatos and learn Jiu Jitsu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast