Q: Neck Warm Up "Bridge Flip" Tech

Hi,

I was wondering how one executes the flip over into the bridge when warming up your neck (as seen extensively in this video)?

I'm fine warming up and rolling in child's pose (obviously) and in downward dog, but to do it from the bridge, I always have to reposition myself and do it "manually", mostly for fear of breaking my neck.

What are the steps one has to take in order to execute it without becoming a C3 complete?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I hope everyone understands what I'm actually talking about.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    That kind of move is something you need to build up to, not everyone can perform it safely. Be careful.

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

Any tips on how I can work my way up to it? Is it a matter of strengthening the neck with the exercises I mentioned first, and then transitioning into it?

I wouldn't attempt it without a higher rank present, but what are some of the things I should be aware of?

Cheers!

Greg,

I am not quite sure what you are capable of doing at the moment.

You would normally expect to first build up to a decent front bridge and back bridge.

In the front bridge you can, if necessary, start on your knees and then move to being on your feet supported by your hands. You can finally move to no hands but it may not be necessary for the move you are taking about.

In the back bridge you need to push up into the bridge position and develop back and neck flexibility by trying to improve the arch of your bridge and get you nose closer to the ground. Just keep practising the position and holding it.

Moving on to flipping forward from front bridge to back bridge should give you no problems. It may need a little confidence but you should have no sensation that the move is risky.

Reversing the position from back bridge to front bridge on the other hand does make you feel at least initially a lot of pressue on the neck. Most coaches I have seen teach it by having you grasp the ankles of someone standing over you to assist with momentum in getting the legs back over your head. Some people can get that fairly easily, some can't. It may depend on back and neck flexibility in the bridge position so work on that. A third person can assist with getting your legs back over you.

Unfortunately I have not seen any specific progressions taught by wrestling coaches. Flipping forward and back over a small support may assist but I have never seen that taught as such and have not tried it myself.

So in summary develop your neck and flexibility by forward and backward bridging, progress to front flips and then back flips with the help of a training partner.