Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough

Loud click in the knee tonight

Hi guys, I haven't been around too much lately because that darned video game Destiny is ttaking up all my non-jiu jitsu and non-work time.
    I am just posting this because I know a lot of you will have experience with this sort of thing. Tonight I was playing bottom halfguard lockdown, followed the path to stoner control and went for a rolling vaporizer. The guy I was rolling with is really tense and keep everything flexed, so everything is a struggle, and as I was grabbing for his foot to get the calf slicer my knee made an audible click/crack. We stopped rolling immediately and I decided to call it a night, in case it was worse than it felt.

It didn't hurt at the time, but my knee feels hot and on the outside it is kind of tender but so far nothing serious. It feels a little bit sore to walk around, especially if I am turning on that foot, but nothing hurts too bad. Just wondering if I should be ultra paranoid about it or if this is just one of those things where a joint clicks and that's all.

I am going to take an advil and a hot bath, then put a neoprene sleeve on it with some Thai oil (kinda like Rub-A535). Anyways the part that feels effected is the outside of the knee. Let me know if there is anything I should know. Thanks.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    Prolly a sprained Lcl if a dude is tense like that don't go for that kinda shit on em man always leads to injury. Beginners hurt more people than anybody so I never go for shit like that on them usually save that for guys who know how to move hope you get back on the mat soon brov

ig and twitter @jm10p

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Go to the doctor and have it checked
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Definitely go to sports orthopedic doctor in Canada, try to get fast tracked if you have a good relation with your GP otherwise it could be a couple weeks wait. You could try to go to emergency and see the orthopod on duty, but they usually laugh at you unless you are seriously mangled. You will probably have to rest it and possibly immobilize it in a brace for a bit. Ice usually helps for a bit after the injury. Rest it and follow the doctors advice and it will most likely heal up.

While you are resting this Doctor has lots of info about knees:

http://drrobertlaprademd.com

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    I agree, it sounds like you might have sprained your LCL. I've had that happen while trying to do The Pump on someone who was freaking out, felt/heard a slight pop, felt tenderness in that area. In any case, I agree with the advice to see a Doc in your area to get an objective understanding of how bad it might be. Good luck.

Array

School
    Thanks guys. We have a guy that trains at our club who is a medical type and he did some looking at it and said it was the LCL. I have been rolling and things are good with with it, but I have been avoiding all rubber guard motions just out of fear right now.
    He gave me some tips on how to improve flexability in my hip by using a lacross ball and rolling it across the glute to stretch the muscle fascia, but I have not started any of the exercises yet just because I haven't gotten off my glutes to get a lacross ball.

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita Winnipeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Thanks guys. We have a guy that trains at our club who is a medical type and he did some looking at it and said it was the LCL. I have been rolling and things are good with with it, but I have been avoiding all rubber guard motions just out of fear right now.
    He gave me some tips on how to improve flexability in my hip by using a lacross ball and rolling it across the glute to stretch the muscle fascia, but I have not started any of the exercises yet just because I haven't gotten off my glutes to get a lacross ball.
    They're cheap as fuck. I got a two pack of lacrosse balls for like $4.

Array

School
    Yep I just haven't made the time. I need to though, just to loosen up my left hip a bit.

Array

School
    Just wanted to say that I went for 2 months without using any Rubberguard in my Jiu Jitsu rolling, for fear of my knee.

I rolled last night against one of our newer whitebelts and he was basically giving me the position so badly that I couldn't resist. So I worked the rubberguard path, Mission control was the biggest gamble. Once I got there and it felt strong, I just zombied, NY'ed, then started working Gogo Clinch path but couldn't get the under his chin woth my Kung Fu move, so transitioned into Omoplata.

It felt good and strong, and it felt GOOD to work Rubber guard agian!!! Finally.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    My two cents is def see the doctor as soon as u can, in the meantime be easy on it and alternate between heat/ice treatments, you can use epsom salts in a bath which helps. If you insist on going to class be very cautious as u drill, and many movements u may need to avoid all together, and I would recommend no live rolling and focus maybe on your SC/mount/NS defense (making sure the partner knows no leg attacks). I did that while I was recovering from a lower body injury, and my defense (arm, neck defense) improved during that period.

Best wishes!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast