Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness

Anybody have suggestions for using herbs and roots

Starting to make my own root teas. So far Ive been mixing turmeric root, ginger root, coconut oil, and coconut sugar. Sometimes adding Guinea Hen Weed(had a history of claims by Jamaican herbalists and is now being found to have anti-cancer properties, the story pretty much got me searching herbs lately) or other type of tea. I smash and boil the roots then let then simmer for anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes. I might start letting them sit over night. Been finding a lot of information about adaptogens and herbs and roots used by different cultures that have medicinal and energetic claims. So been looking for science backed stuff and ancient and modern herbalists, shamans, bush doctors, natives, monks, warriors, and village peoples claims that might or might not be science tested. Gonna start brewing up some athlete tonics. Focusing so far on inflammation, hormones and endocrine system, mental everything, blood, nervous system, testosterone, and sexual virility for possible testosterone assistance and the energy that comes with sexual virility (so energy more so than boners). Been learning a lot recently on how simple things like bad posture, regular alcohol use, and poor sleep each can dramatically lower your testosterone.

Here is a list of stuff Im gonna try or want to try. Luckily there is a herb store near by with all sorts of stuff

Boswalia or frankensense
    Suma
    Strong Back or cuphea parsonia
    Eleutrero or siberian ginseng
    Manchurian thorn tree
    Chinese Magnolia vine or Shizondra
    Maral Root
    Chaga mushroom
    Dragon blood or Sangre de drago
    Indian winter cherry or ashwaganda
    Fo ti root or he shou
    Rhodolia rosea
    macca
    cats claw
    raw moon
    chaney
    allman strength
    reishi mushroom

maybe some more that I forgot.

Would love to know of anything else out there to try

#WizardBrew #JiuJitsuAlchemy #UnconventionalTea
    Last edited by Sean Marshall; 04-24-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Array

School

The Adaptogen Story

Array

School
    I was wondering why I was heating up so much when I drank the turmeric and ginger tea. I will just heat up and start sweating like a niacin flush without the itching and stuff. Kinda like if you just did a really good warm up before training. Needed to balance it out. This video got me curious about Ayurveda. Still unknown in the west and could use some science updating. The body types information in Ayurveda hooked me in on it the most. Finding I need to look backwards into the past and not just forwards for sports innovation.

How to use turmeric

Array

School
    A real good video on how adaptogens for the curious

Performance for the future - Stimulants vs. adaptogens

I personally wouldn't recommend taking herbal stuff >< unless the herbs are properly licensed. In the UK we can be sure of the quality of our herbal products if they have the THR logo, im not sure about the US [1]. The problem with herbal products is that there may not be enough clinical trials to show how safe they are. You also don't know the quality of the herbal products, and might do yourself harm.

Some Chinese traditional herbs and Indian traditional herbs have, in the past, been found to have high levels of heavy metals [2]. This is due to the soil conditions that they were grown in. The quality of herbal products varies across different countries, depending on their regulation and growing conditions. So if you do want to use them, make sure they're properly regulated.

If I personally wanted anti-inflammatory effects, I'd just take ibuprofen. Modern medicines have been through clinical trials and strict regulation, so they'd be safer than herbal medicines. The majority of modern medicines were based on extracts from plants anyway, such as morphine from opium plants, or aspirin from the Willow Tree.

A lot of people think that herbal medicines must be safe because they're natural. But that's really not the case. Herbal medicines have active constituents in them. Take, for example, ayahuasca, which is a mixture of crushed up herbs that people take for "spiritual" experiences. Although it's a mixture of plants, there are active constituents in those plants that are used. So we should always treat herbal products like medicines themselves.

Also be careful that none of the products interact with each other, or that none of them interact with any medicines you're currently taking. Here in the UK, we have the British National Formulary (BNF) which tells us if herbs or herbal products interact with any medicines [3]. The reason for the interactions is because, as mentioned before, herbal products have active chemicals in them the same way as drugs do.

So yeah >< I wouldn't recommend taking herbal medicines unless I knew they had proper clinical trials on them, and that their quality was regulated. That's just what I think though .

1. https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-tradi...gistration-thr
    2. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....icleid=1108395
    3. http://www.bnf.org/bnf/index.htm

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Long jack and tribulus are supposed to be helpful
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    Long jack and tribulus are supposed to be helpful
    Ive seen tribulus once or twice but not Long Jack. Will look that up.

Array

School
    Got lucky with the local herb place having some experienced people and being one of the first certified places or something. Got a lot of helpful tips like to boil with ginger so it can get your digestive fire going(not their words). Also to be careful when taking the adrenals and not take too much at once. They had most of the stuff I was looking for except for a couple Jamaican and Amazonian stuff that I will have to get online. Was pretty cool they had some 6 month tinture making class that Im a little curious about. Will probably learn a lot from the people there. Asked about testosterone increasing-ish stuff. Showed me their in house made boner pills. Said the weight lifters would take them right before working out. I hope she didnt just throw me a line. She saw my 10th planet shirt and thought it said Planet Fitness so she might have used some marketing on me, but they were .25 each so it wasnt a huge hit for a couple of them. Better blood flow might be good for grappling as long as your not getting boners, how could it not help

I know I used too much stuff. Ill probably split the ingredients into 2 seperate batches with the same types of stuff kept apart

First brew ingredients - cats claw, Fo Ti, Eleuthero, rhodiola, and ashwagandha
    also some fruit juice so its easier to drink

Ate a little bit of cooked rehmannia and some schizandra berries today also. The berries are crazy tasting. They are named the 5 taste berry for having five different tastes, but most would probably think its nasty.

Will probably just stick to this same brew for a week or 2. Maybe taking 1 or 2 ingredients out for a couple days at a time to find noticeable differences. Part of me just wants to boil it all together. I got a much more stuff. Herbs, barks, and roots are pretty cheap when bought in small amounts. Trying these brews with alpha brain would also be interesting after a few weeks of going without the alpha brain. The ultimate training and competition drinks are still not discovered.
    Last edited by Sean Marshall; 04-24-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Dandelion wine is fantastic. Fern roots are also great to chew, tastes like licorice.

I have heard burdock and nettle roots are great for tea too.

Array

School
    Cant believe I didnt even look in the Alpha Brain ingredients. Its on now. Already have the Uncaria Tomentosa(Cats Claw). Gonna add the herbs in alpha brain to my decoction(fancy name for boiled up ingredients). Just mixing everything together. If I notice a difference ill just take stuff away. Every once in a while I try some separately early in the morning after waking up to see how I feel. Going back today to get some more stuff to add in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast