Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Kombat Sports/10th Planet Yuma and San Diego (when in the area)

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Definitely a legend. One of the best super feather weights of all time. 4 World titles, with the last 3 being consecutive. Not much of a no-gi guy so I don't expect this thread to do heavy numbers but anyone gi or no-gi can learn a lot from watching Gui Mendes.

He's basically been THE guy to watch at the lower weight classes in terms of pressure passing and also one of the few competitors at the 2nd lowest weight class to go for takedowns. One of the revolutionaries for modern sport grappling and even though I'll miss watching him choke the shit out of everyone, I hope he's happy with coaching and enjoying his new family!

Array

School
    blank
    amen to that mike

he has always been one of those guys who has a super predictable game but you just can't stop

he is going to take you down, he is going to pass via knee slice, he is going to get you with a baseball bat choke from side and there is nothing you can do about it

also a great point about his takedowns. his options from standing aren't super varied but super effective. i remember attending one of his seminars and was amazed at how easily he dummied everyone on the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    amen to that mike

he has always been one of those guys who has a super predictable game but you just can't stop

he is going to take you down, he is going to pass via knee slice, he is going to get you with a baseball bat choke from side and there is nothing you can do about it

also a great point about his takedowns. his options from standing aren't super varied but super effective. i remember attending one of his seminars and was amazed at how easily he dummied everyone on the feet.
    yeah bro, and that fake guard pull to the ankle pick is something I've never really been able to do. I look so stupid when I try it. I'm way too slow and my guard pull fake doesn't look convincing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Super hard working, super talented.

I wonder if hte decision had been made for Gui to focus on business and Rafa to continue focus on comps

Array

School
    blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    I wonder if hte decision had been made for Gui to focus on business and Rafa to continue focus on comps
    that's what i imagine is going to happen. first kid on the way

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I honestly sad to see him retire. Its up there with my sadness that Marcelo retired
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I honestly sad to see him retire. Its up there with my sadness that Marcelo retired
    Me too man. It also makes me feel old because I remember being in my mid 20's and seeing Rafa and Gui destroy elite black belts when they were in their late teens, and now they're retired? i know Gui retired young but it still makes me feel old.

There are probably some really good grapplers at purple and brown right now that have never trained during a time where they could have seen Marcelo Garcia compete live. Maybe even a couple of black belts assuming they were naturals that lived in the gym.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast