Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin

My official introduction and Hotbox questions

First off, it's best that I introduce myself. I'm a former Alliance blue belt that has been back training for just over two years. I started in '09 doing primarily no gi and MMA but took a 3 year lay off because life happens. When I started again I started with Felipe "Zicro" Neto (Alliance Tallahassee, 45miles from me) and started competing as a white belt. When I trained the first time I got the fever and when I started back I knew I wanted to compete. When I first started back in March of '13 I weighed 255lbs and now fight around 170/175lbs. I've fought at 4 different IBJJF weight classes. The last time I competed was Pan Ams in March where I won my first match by triangle and lost my second on points. I haven't had the best of luck in IBJJF as I tend to be a sub-hunter but have won/placed in some of the smaller tournaments like Newbreed, Good Fight, etc. After Pan Ams I decided to switch gyms and started training under Billy Baisch at Railroad Square/BJJSOUTH.com in Tallahassee, FL 3-4 nights a week. I train no gi locally with some friends (no gym here) 5:30am-6:30am Mon-Fri. There's 2-4 of us in the mornings and we've been primarily focusing on the 10P system and lots of rolling. I love jiu jitsu and live for it, training 7-10 times a week with a full time job.
    Luckily I have a loving wife and 3 kids who support me. My wife doesn't train currently but has always been my biggest supporter.

Enough about me though, as I'm here to talk jiu jitsu. No gi jiu jitsu is definitely my favorite although it's very different than the game I play in the gi. In the gi I play mostly spider guard/DLR/RDLR/X hybrids/variants where as in the gi I play primarily butterfly/half/single X/X guard with my main focus on leglocks. I own a library full of technique vids but I've been working extensively to better my knowledge of the 10P system and prefer the Lockdown. It's my goal to open a 10P Hotbox that evolves into an official Moon.

I have the opportunity to start a Hotbox but have some questions. I'll base it off of the Hotbox criteria so you can see where I'm at.

1. All hotboxes must be approved by Eddie.

Not applying yet, just looking for some answers/advice.

2. The leader of the hotbox must be an active pro member of www.10thplanetjj.com and participate on the Nibiru Forum.

Check! (Recently active)

3. The leader of the hotbox will not make any money or profit from the hotbox in any way shape or form.

Understood. This is where I have a question though. I would be hosting at a local Crossfit gym and wouldn't seek to make money as a Hotbox. The owner is currently looking into his insurance but I may have to provide my own.
    Would it be against the rules to make donations possible but not mandatory to help cover insurance if needed? I'm providing my own mats and equipment (mat tape, borders, etc). Has anyone else running a Hotbox run into this?

4. The leader of the hotbox must be sponsored by a 10th Planet Affiliate instructor. Example, Brandon Woolsey will be under the guidance of Coach Herzog, and the Essex Hotbox will be under Sean Bollinger.

My sponsors would probably need to be either Sean Applegate (10P Gulf Shores) or Brandon McCaghren (10P Decatur) but I have yet to train with either so this is all theoretically speaking. They are the closest to me and I'd be honored to be under either one.

5. The leader of the hotbox must meet and train with his sponsored instructor at least once per calendar year.

Understood and will agree to do so.

6. The leader of a Hotbox must have at least 10 competition wins (No-gi matches or mma fights) on video where you can see a 10th Planet Logo on shorts or shirt, rashguard, etc. or throwing up the 10p gang sign after a victory, before establishing a hotbox.

I'll be working on this in July/August, I've competed but never under the 10P banner.

7. A Hotbox must not be within 30 miles of an existing official 10th Planet moon.

Check!

8. The Leader of a Hotbox may not rank others, only affiliate instructors can rank their students. However, with the Hotbox leaders recommendation the sponsor instructor may evaluate and rank the student.

9. Hotboxes do not own exclusive rights to their city, if a qualified 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu instructor moves to the same area he has the ability to open a certified affiliate. The focus is what’s best for the system as a whole.

Understood!

10. Hotboxes must state clearly on their websites, facebook pages, etc. that all 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu classes are FREE!

Understood, although I need advice on #3.

11. With the ultimate goal of a hotbox being to transition to a official affiliate there is a 2 year maximum in which a hotbox may retain its hotbox status. Hotboxes that haven't made the transition within that period will lose its hotbox status. Within those 2 years a hotbox leader must make at least 1 trip to 10th Planet HQ.

Understood and willing!

12. Hotboxes may produce t-shirts only using their hotbox logo. Rashguards, shorts, etc. are for affiliates only.

Understood.

13. Hotboxes may not advertise 10th Planet on the exterior or buildings, windows, etc. You may hang a banner of your hotbox logo on the inside of your location.

Understood.

It would start out as just two days a week (tues & thurs) until I get my purple then hopefully expanding my time and effort as a Hotbox and eventually 10P Moon. Please, express your opinions, concerns and things I may run into along the way.

the answer to question 3 is you will have to pay for the insurance out of your own pocket. you cant take money in any way shape or form. good luck with your hotbox.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Robster is correct.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Thanks guys! Is anyone else running a Hotbox out of a Crossfit gym? Are you having to pay your own insurance? I'd love to hear peoples opinions on the matter!

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    We'll get together soon man

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Robster is correct.
    Yes, I did this. Its hard, I know.

Get together with a sponsored instructor ASAP and they may be able to give you some good advise for dealing with business things and such