Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th planet Ronin Ireland/ Pedro Bessa ballincollig
    it was so exciting. had a few beers and stayed up passed my bed time. requires a rewatch for sure. lol

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdouglas View Post
    I look at it like Chad fucked up goin for a guillotine instead of maintaining position rather than Conor having to really work to get out of that position.
    That guilly is a TAM special man. I don't see it as Chad messing up. I saw it as Conor seeing it coming and timing his escape correctly. I'm not the one who ranked him so I'm not going to give my opinion on his brown belt. He's also been training for a stand up war for his training camp, so I can't blame him for having a rusty guard.

But in the end, he played his game better than Chad and got the finish. Basic guard or not. I'd be more inclined to say that his guard sucked if he was just getting passed and smashed effortlessly. At least he controlled some of the action, ya know?

Array

School
    Oak Cliff Jiu-Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    What about it sucked? Because he wasn't very offensive from guard? Or because he was struck a few times? I mean, he didn't look spectacular, but he did do something right. He got back to his feet and he found the KO. For his MMA style, I think that strategy works just fine for him. I mean, it DID work out for him.
    First, I am Conor fan, and was 1 of only 3 people at the bar I was at cheering for him. I knew he was going to win, and I expect him to destroy Aldo as well.

That being said, I was extremely disappointed in his guard.

When you clasp your feet behind your opponents back, you're not looking to escape or attack, you're just making yourself more comfortable.

You ought to be putting your knees on the hips or bring your legs high for submission attempts off of the downward strikes or to escape, there's rubber guard... There's a lot more you can do than clasp your feet and sit there with your only plan being to move your head from side to side.

He clearly needs to spend some time with Eddie at HQ to add some no-gi game to his arsenal.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    It's funny hearing people say Chad shouldn't have gone for the kill. He used to get a lot of shit for getting the takedown and being a wet blanket. Now that he's going for it people are disappointed that he did. Kinda funny
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Has Conor ever had the reputation of having a nasty guard game? The guy weathered the storm, scrambled up when he had a chance, and got the TKO. There are plenty of brown and black belts in the UFC that are not very active off their backs, so it seems a little unfair to question his rank.

I'm only a purple belt and have never fought MMA so I'm not going to judge or act like I know what he should be doing.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    It's funny hearing people say Chad shouldn't have gone for the kill. He used to get a lot of shit for getting the takedown and being a wet blanket. Now that he's going for it people are disappointed that he did. Kinda funny
    Seriously. I think he underestimated Conor's sub escape skills because his guard wasn't dangerous. Mendes telegraphed that sub and was a second behind Conor in the scramble.

Array

School
    10th planet Ronin Ireland/ Pedro Bessa ballincollig
    man, iam a white belt so I cant say shit really but he could of gone for the flower sweep. maybe its harder in mma?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Campagnola View Post
    Has Conor ever had the reputation of having a nasty guard game? The guy weathered the storm, scrambled up when he had a chance, and got the TKO. There are plenty of brown and black belts in the UFC that are not very active off their backs, so it seems a little unfair to question his rank.
    ^^^
    This

He weathered the storm and got the win. The fact that he got back to his feet and finished the fight in the second round like he guaranteed is pretty damn impressive.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by eoin ahern View Post
    man, iam a white belt so I cant say shit really but he could of gone for the flower sweep. maybe its harder in mma?
    Here's the thing about grappling. You can go for things all day. You don't really pay the price if you fail other than maybe getting reversed or passed. In MMA if you go for something and fail, you eat punches. So Conor COULD have gone for a flower sweep. But had he failed, he could have also ended up with his arm stuck while eating hammer fists.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    https://www.facebook.com/33000446376...type=2&theater

A quick video John Kavanagh put up of himself and Conor rolling 2 years ago, I heard a lot of SBG guys are known for having some nasty guillotines. Kavanagh said Conor did NO wrestling leading up to this fight because of a knee injury. Crazy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast