Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Pedro bessa, cardiff, wales.

So I get double underhooks with lockdown, agaisnt a guy with a 28lbs on me.

So I get double underhooks with lockdown, agaisnt a guy with probably 20lbs on me. I go for the whip up, hands on rib cage lifting my knees to my chest, trying to push him over my head. So i go for it and carnt budge him. The round ended then but i was a little lost at what to do next if the whip up doesn't work. Do I just lie there and wait for him to move or is there a technique where I can somehow inch my way to my side so I can work old school. etc. Any advice would be great.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Did your opponent have head and arm control? If they are committing to head and arm there is an easy sweep there. Answer the phone, locking their arm, then bridge off of your inside leg, keeping the outside leg in place, gives you hooks on both their arm and leg preventing them from posting and stopping the sweep. I have my students using this after guys start getting wise to the lockdown and wrestlers who always dive for head and arm control to help free their leg from half guard lockdown. Hope that helps!

@Bill
    He had double underhooks, so there's no way his opponent had head & arm control.

It's easy... If you can't whip up, whip up...

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    DOH!! I should read a little better Yes Matthias is full of correct on whipping up, get the reps in. To where it feels fluid. If you can, start with a training partner about your size. Then work on someone heavier, just reps. Then work it live against someone your size and so on.

Array

School
    10thPlanet Oceanside
    A simple thing I learned from Einstein about the whip up when I went down there a few months back is to use the rainbow effect with your knees and hips dont simply raise your knees and push with your arms raise your knees yes but dont stop the motion there turn to your side slam your knees to the ground in the direction of the sweep while also pushing the upper body at an angle to that same direction once on your side keep that underhook tight to the hip getting your head as deep as you can to aviod a darce. Reps Reps Reps nothing works all the time at the very least a failed whip up can creat the proper space to possibly regain full guard or transition to the butterfly worst thing you can do with a heavy guy is just lay flat on your back with all that weight on you

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Rep for sure, but heres an alternative that Alder shows when he did a seminar at my place. I use both daily.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Rep for sure, but heres an alternative that Alder shows when he did a seminar at my place. I use both daily.
    change angles herzog, us viewers cant see the foot grab, but as always, you always have an answer for less knowlegable students and for that I thank you. the middle school looks similar to a sweep that I do from being mounted, and I think you mayhave given me an idea for a name, I'll video it and send it to you

Array

School
    -Machado-Team Juarez
    sweet vid! thanks

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Chris for the win! The sweep I was referring to also works here with double under hooks, as long as they are committing or latching a hold of your head In this vid, picture Alder placing his left hand against his head, then un hook your inside or left leg, leaving the other leg in place, bridge over your left shoulder using your right leg and cupping his left hip with your right hand. Super easy sweep right into side control I call "the switch".

Quote Originally Posted by watty31 View Post
    So I get double underhooks with lockdown, agaisnt a guy with probably 20lbs on me. I go for the whip up, hands on rib cage lifting my knees to my chest, trying to push him over my head. So i go for it and carnt budge him. The round ended then but i was a little lost at what to do next if the whip up doesn't work. Do I just lie there and wait for him to move or is there a technique where I can somehow inch my way to my side so I can work old school. etc. Any advice would be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast