Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek, CA
    I feel that recovery is one of the most important factors, plus pacing yourself when you roll. I am big on supplements (fish oil, tart cherry, curcumin), stretching and I see an ART physical therapist about 1x or 2x/month to keep things working correctly. Also, tapping early and keeping my ego in check helps keep the injuries at bay. And of course, having a great diet plays a huge part. The less weight I have, the less effort it takes to move.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Felt my first drop at 42. My cardio just seemed out of nowhere to not perform as normal. Up till then I had relied heavily on my wrestling. It forced me to play more off my back. Then when I recently turned 45 it dropped some more. Now I'm far more conscious about not wasting movement and playing a much stronger defensive game until my partner get tired. It forces me to be better at everything since I can no longer rely on strength and explosion to get where I want.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    This is a great thread. I'll be 37 in September but my body feels old. I've been a martial artist my whole life and I was a jock in school. I still strive to reach a high level and my sons interest has given me a second wind.

Array

School
    M1 Action Design
    age is definitely a factor. I turned 40 this year, and although I still roll 5x a week, I don't push myself all 5 days. The importance of rolling till i'm 90 is more important then trying to kill everyone I roll with daily. The beauty is in the flow and mastering the technique..so i don't have to use muscle.

Array

School
    M1 Action Design
    age is definitely a factor. I turned 40 this year, and although I still roll 5x a week, I don't push myself all 5 days. The importance of rolling till i'm 90 is more important then trying to kill everyone I roll with daily. The beauty is in the flow and mastering the technique..so i don't have to use muscle.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    Thanks for all the great replys guys

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    One of the most powerful lessons in jiu-jitsu is that I find myself constantly shattering perceived limitations. That having been said, the old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be.

I think it's important to know where you are at physically, and take breaks when you need them. When I'm in top shape, I can stay on the mat the entire night but when I am recovering from an injury or time off, I need to listen to my body and take breaks until I condition myself to endure a full session. My last set of knee injuries were due to pushing too hard, too soon. Even two years ago I would just throw myself into the mix whole heartedly the first night back but that's not the case any more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12