Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    RMNU

Hunting for over hooks.

Anyone got any tricks to getting a over hook? Right now I do use the Stomp series. Everyone at my gym is hip I want the zombie and it's almost impossible to get. Especially in the GI. To much friction trying to slide your arm through. Just trying to figure out how to use Rubber Guard more. Thanks.

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    A simple set up I use a lot from closed guard is to attempt the hip bump sweep or kimura attack. This will usually cause them to hug the body and push down to prevent the sweep or sub. From there, I drop back down into free New York or Chill Dog depending on the direction of pressure and what I want to do.

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Meek View Post
    A simple set up I use a lot from closed guard is to attempt the hip bump sweep or kimura attack. This will usually cause them to hug the body and push down to prevent the sweep or sub. From there, I drop back down into free New York or Chill Dog depending on the direction of pressure and what I want to do.
    I'm a big shoulder pin (williams guard variation) player, and I used this for a while, however I find that it puts you flat on your back, which is bad unless you have a large level of flexibility, which you might if you're playing RG. One thing I use is a flower sweep, and when they post, I trap the arm. Also, try to get double underhooks in Butterfly guard, really sell it. Once they try to pummel, let them get one (giving your opponent double underhooks will get you passed pretty quickly) and transition to full guard.

Array

School
    RMNU
    Very cool. Thanks.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    In half-guard, I read in Advanced Rubber guard to shoot a cross-face on him from the bottom. This will more often than not cause him to take the bait and take the free underhook, where you'd have a chance to achieve the overhook and would need to avoid getting pinned flat on your back. This is where a butterfly hook could come into play. Much like the example above with a hip bump sweep from closed guard, except you wouldn't go over the opposite shoulder of his in the half-guard.

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mayall View Post
    I'm a big shoulder pin (williams guard variation) player, and I used this for a while, however I find that it puts you flat on your back, which is bad unless you have a large level of flexibility, which you might if you're playing RG.
    As a note per my earlier post, when they drive you down, shrimp or shift your hip off to the side to prevent from landing flat. It also sets you up for your Williams (London) or Prison Guard game. If they keep their hands in and you can create some space, it also sets up a swim move if you can get that deep hook in.

Array

School
    SBG Rochdale (FCPC)
    This is great advice.

Am I right in thinking that if you bring your hips back as if you was going for the guillotine off the failedkimura/hip bump, it would mean that you wouldnt have to do much shrimping out from close guard and makes it easier to get that free new york?

Array

School
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFirth View Post
    This is great advice.

Am I right in thinking that if you bring your hips back as if you was going for the guillotine off the failedkimura/hip bump, it would mean that you wouldnt have to do much shrimping out from close guard and makes it easier to get that free new york?
    Eventually it will all become a single motion. Hip bump fail straight down to free New York or even triangle.

Array

School
    bayou fitness and combat sports
    this is awesome advice.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    I like to go for wrist locks and arm drags to free up. I will stiff arm his head to the opposite side while using that pendulum sweep motion with my legs then when he resists aggressively switch my hips and hit the London/Williams guard. That could work for rubber guard. I just don't have the flexibility for anything but a slow omoplata transition so I still play the London instead of Rubber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast