Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th planet south melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schuettenberg View Post
    yes I had an MRI done by a dr who is the team surgeon for the St. Louis rams and St. Louis blues. He said I had a partial tear if my lcl. He opted against surgery and put me on pt. I did a follow up with him about 4 months after I was injured and he said it's just gonna take time to heal I just didn't think it would take this long
    You're scarin me doc. Can you gun it to 88 and I'll stop myself from forcing shit

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    The golden rule I follow is to make sure my knee is as close or closer to my chest than my foot. Guys get into trouble when either they reef their own foot towards their chest or their opponent does while they have their knee extended out. If your knee is up against your chest, you can't get hurt.

As for recovery, you need to stick to PT everyday. Single leg squats, balancing movements etc. Do them everyday and start them as soon as you can. Keep moving. I've popped both my knees over time, the knee which I started recovery movements asap and stuck with it everyday was fine in a month and the knee I slacked on took 4 months. (both were partial lcl tears)
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eddy View Post
    The golden rule I follow is to make sure my knee is as close or closer to my chest than my foot. Guys get into trouble when either they reef their own foot towards their chest or their opponent does while they have their knee extended out. If your knee is up against your chest, you can't get hurt.

As for recovery, you need to stick to PT everyday. Single leg squats, balancing movements etc. Do them everyday and start them as soon as you can. Keep moving. I've popped both my knees over time, the knee which I started recovery movements asap and stuck with it everyday was fine in a month and the knee I slacked on took 4 months. (both were partial lcl tears)
    How were your pain levels Ben?

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomdavis1029 View Post
    How were your pain levels Ben?
    Multiple pops when they happened. Unwalkable first couple days. Limpable for a week. Able to start PT and feeling slow recovery each day after about 5-7 days.

If you're still limping bad two weeks out, it's probably worse than a partial tear. But big red had a complete tear that he didn't figure out until 6 months to a year afterwards. So who knows. Everyone is a little different. I think that has a lot to do with which one you injured. Mine were both LCL.

Array

School
    Multiple pops when they happened. Unwalkable first couple days. Limpable for a week. Able to start PT and feeling slow recovery each day after about 5-7 days.

If you're still limping bad two weeks out, it's probably worse than a partial tear. But big red had a complete tear that he didn't figure out until 6 months to a year afterwards. So who knows. Everyone is a little different. I think that has a lot to do with which one you injured. Mine were both LCL.
    Sounds close to mine. I'm wearing like compression bandages on the knee that's effected. But can walk with a limp and it's been like a week.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    The golden rule I follow is to make sure my knee is as close or closer to my chest than my foot.
    +1. That's a money detail.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomdavis1029 View Post
    Sounds close to mine. I'm wearing like compression bandages on the knee that's effected. But can walk with a limp and it's been like a week.
    Start working it man. I don't prescribe to the whole rest and ice mantra. It's always recovered faster for me when I was constantly working it throughout the day, staying active. I saw a huge difference between the one I rested on, iced and was lazy and the one I religiously worked hard on each day. I don't mean roll to soon though, just PT stuff. If it feels worse the next day then yea you worked it a bit too hard.

Array

School
    Start working it man. I don't prescribe to the whole rest and ice mantra. It's always recovered faster for me when I was constantly working it throughout the day, staying active. I saw a huge difference between the one I rested on, iced and was lazy and the one I religiously worked hard on each day. I don't mean roll to soon though, just PT stuff. If it feels worse the next day then yea you worked it a bit too hard.
    Cheers brother. I'm finding if I rest it to much it's feels weaker, stiffer and all together worse. I'll start some stretches and lighter excercise and build. Life saver!

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham / Banbury uk
    You got a link Bro?

Quote Originally Posted by William Schrimsher View Post
    BMac's breakdown of RG is some of the most relatable, most informative helpful stuff you'll run across. Ive had 2 surgeries on my left knee and when I do RG the way he shows, I feel no stress at all on a knee that I have trouble walking on when it rains.
    It's the truth.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    I've injured the LCL's in both knees a combined 10 times in the last 20 years, though incredibly never in rubber guard - it always happens in bizzarre situations like when I spin to take the back or in the truck or shooting for a low single. It always happens with a really loud click like somebody flopping onto an old couch. Anyway, my recovery timeline is almost exactly the same every time:
    - It pops, doesn't hurt immediately, just feels kind of fuzzy.
    - The next morning, I can't bend the leg and can't put weight on it without severe pain.
    - 2 days out I can walk and slightly bend it
    - 4 days out and I'm back to cycling and yoga
    - 1 week out, I'm doing moderate-weight (~225 for me) squats and light rolling
    - 2 weeks out, I'm doing everything 100% but not doing any risky moves with it
    - a month out, I'm doing everything 100%
    - 6 months out, I can no longer tell it's hurt

So basically, it doesn't stop me from training for very long; around 4 or 5 days. However, it still hurts and aches for about 6 months. In my experience, you don't want to just rest with it straight for more than the first day or two; after that, start moving on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast