Array

School
    RMNU / flowhouse bjj

old skool ashi -- ashi-garami judo

the use of ashi garami is forbidden

(note kicking out of the far leg, instead of going to a more common 1 leg xguard)

Cool find. That's where John Danaher took the name. if anyone ever gets a chance to train with Danaher take it up. But it can be confusing because he uses Japanese terms for everything. He's like Eddie Bravo with naming variations for everything but it's Japanese. He calls it the Latin of submission grappling. So an armbar might be juji gatame, or a darce would be an inverted kata gatame. I wonder what he calls things that don't really have an easy Japanese name. I think ashi garami means leg entanglement or something like that.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    It out of Judo's Katame No Kata, I learned it back in 1993, its when I first fell in love with leg locks, its where the majority of the Reaper series I teach spawned from.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Yes the term Ashi-Garami means leg entanglement.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    It out of Judo's Katame No Kata, I learned it back in 1993, its when I first fell in love with leg locks, its where the majority of the Reaper series I teach spawned from.
    We call that video "old school" because of the relative amount of time that has passed and how much the game has progressed since then. Someday down the road, the community will call our current curriculum "old school" because of the progress vs time and how the game is ever evolving. I love that thought and the thought of constant and never ending progress. Thank you Coach Eddie, Coach Zog, Coach Sean, Coach B'Mac, Coach Josh P, Coach Denny and every other coach/practitioner who contribute to the spread and evolution of our beautiful art.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    something beautiful about this

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I would love to learn Katame no Kata.
    The only Kata my Sensei stresses is Nage no Kata, he avoids several others, and completely disallows leg locks. Strange, considering he hates the Olympic ruleset and exclusively attends Freestyle events.

My first judo teacher knew and encouraged the leg attacks, I really miss working with him. Hope to meet and work with you one day, Zog!