Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rubber guard on larger guys?

Hey guys, how do you pull off a rubber guard on a larger guy? Like, when their shoulders are wide, or they're just really big people.
    I feel like forcing a rubber guard by pulling my ankle towards me would just bust my knee.

Thanks

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    I've heard Eddie say that if they are too big you have to skip steps. Look for free NY, free Chill Dog, and flying kung fus. Of course the best option against a big guy is get on top and stay there.

Mojoplata

God I got smashed last night by a big ole boy. I usually rush to omo as quick as possible to try and sweep for top

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    You have to angle your hips, don't stay flat on your back. Angling should remove the stress on your knee.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I've had some success arm dragging one elbow in, and then starting from there.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    I agree with Chris, to be more specific, get them to the side of you. There are two main angles in RG, the meathook angle and the arm bar angle, I personally choose the meathook angle for most bigger opponents. That's a personal choice. Like Chris said, its about getting the angle. I just really like how when you point your knee down in meathook and then have your arm to reinforce that, just the game that comes from there.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    Fusion MMA Elgin IL, Pedro Sauer affiliate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Applegate View Post
    I agree with Chris, to be more specific, get them to the side of you. There are two main angles in RG, the meathook angle and the arm bar angle, I personally choose the meathook angle for most bigger opponents. That's a personal choice. Like Chris said, its about getting the angle. I just really like how when you point your knee down in meathook and then have your arm to reinforce that, just the game that comes from there.
    I really like this, the idea of two angles is a great way of putting it. Brandon from 10P Decatur has some excellent excellent videos for engaging the hips and the basic idea of a rubber guard strategy and those are both amazing. Something talking a little more about the angle could help guys I think but the "Improve your Rubber Guard instantly with this simple strategy" video shows it a good bit. Wish I could link the video but think it's FB only. When I started playing rubber guard I had to figure out a lot of details and all on my own so I kinda had to look at regular closed guard basics I was taught and apply them to rubber guard and if I'd had these earlier on it definitely would have helped me out a little I think. Though I was probably missing all kinds of sources of info back then, I was new and didn't know what all was out there.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Try this link and see if it works for you guys. It goes to the 10th Planet Decatur Facebook page. This is the video Brad referenced.

https://www.facebook.com/10thplanetd...6604902691911/
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    How do you keep them from stacking and driving their head toward your head to kill the omoplata option?

Array

School
    Fusion MMA Elgin IL, Pedro Sauer affiliate
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinculp View Post
    How do you keep them from stacking and driving their head toward your head to kill the omoplata option?
    Are you getting to chill dog? If so then the frame just needs to be real solid, if not and you can't get there because they're too tight I think attack the far arm for armbar set ups or switch to a butterfly guard. That's what I'm doing. You can see it in Brandon's video above which is just excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast