Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym

Introduction plus Mastering the system without a "master"?

Hey guys, firstly I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Keith and I train in Louth, Ireland. My sisters boyfriend introduced me to MMA (when he was starting MMA after a few years of being a thai fighter) and he told me about the kickboxing side of MMA. I didn't have a clue about jiu jitsu at the time but decided to join the nearest MMA club to me (Thinking I'd just love the kickboxing). The first class I went to was actually a 10th Planet class and I fell in love with jiu jitsu. It became an addiction straight away and I was training 6 days a week from then on. I got away from some dodgy characters I used to hang around with and started living a more healthy lifestyle and my new jits friends became my brothers. Since I started, when I'm not at work, I'm either at the gym training jits or at home looking up jits stuff and trying to learn as much about 10th Planet as possible.

ANYWAY!
    The title might be a bit misleading as I do have 2 trainers I'd consider my masters but my question is:
    Does any one think there's anything wrong with being part of this journey to "master the system" without having a 10th Planet master or moon anywhere near? In my opinion, the guys at the club are doing a GREAT job with the tools we have and we're dominating the local competitions lately. I'm just curious to hear what some of you guys think about this? Every now and then, a few members from our club get the chance to train in another club in Dublin that is primarily BJJ without even a hint of 10pjj. A few months back (for my first visit to this club) I was put on the spot straight away and put into the shark tank. 1 and a half hour of pure grappling and I had to stay on the mats, win or lose. I did well and found that even the blue/purple and brown belts looked confused as soon as they were put in the lock down. After that hour and a half, I was proud to receive my first 2 stripes on my bjj white belt all thanks to 10th Planet. (Seems a bit cheeky, hehehehe)

Apologies for dragging that question out but I thought a bit more of an explanation was needed!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Nothing wrong at all being a ronin 10th Planet warrior. As long as you dot try to pass yourself off as something you're not we all will welcome you with open arms. Keep training and keep repping man.

Array

School
    Kraken BJJ, Colorado Springs
    I'm in the same boat, man. The nearest moon is 2 hours and the nearest gym is 45 minutes away. I grabbed Advanced Rubber Guard and Mastering the Twister a couple months ago and just got into MTS. These have upped my game so much and my coaches were pretty impressed with the stuff I was pulling off.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    So you're just "ing" the system? Lol. Just kidding brotha! Welcome to the fam!

Array

School
    10th planet sf
    If you're ever down in Kildare hit me up Keith, be cool to train with ya.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    Brent: Ah, I'm not trying to pass myself off as anything I'm not. I'm just a white belt on a journey with a passion for 10th Planet!

JiuJitsuJunkie: Yeah I'm the same! I've been studying Mastering the rubber guard AND Mastering the Twister since about 8 or 9 months ago and just got MTS a few days ago! I Loved 10th Planet but over the past 3 - 4 weeks, its as if a few things I didn't notice before just clicked with me after seeing Nate Orchards videos, similar-ish body type to myself and I loved the style. Showed me a few parts of my game I was missing! My love for the system is just growing and growing!

BJ Searle: I honestly didn't even see that when I typed it out but you're god damn right I plan to "ing" the system.

Rory: Yeah man I definitely will, I love getting the chance to roll with new people!

Array

School
    Ronin
    Just said this in another post: Myself and three friends go over and over 10th planet techniques. We've all benefited tremendously. My own coach encourages development and evolution. If I'm getting better then he will encourage me to keep doing what I am doing outside of class.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    You're a 10th Planet Ronin.
    Welcome to the forum!

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Kavanagh View Post
    Brent: Ah, I'm not trying to pass myself off as anything I'm not. I'm just a white belt on a journey with a passion for 10th Planet!

JiuJitsuJunkie: Yeah I'm the same! I've been studying Mastering the rubber guard AND Mastering the Twister since about 8 or 9 months ago and just got MTS a few days ago! I Loved 10th Planet but over the past 3 - 4 weeks, its as if a few things I didn't notice before just clicked with me after seeing Nate Orchards videos, similar-ish body type to myself and I loved the style. Showed me a few parts of my game I was missing! My love for the system is just growing and growing!

BJ Searle: I honestly didn't even see that when I typed it out but you're god damn right I plan to "ing" the system.

Rory: Yeah man I definitely will, I love getting the chance to roll with new people!
    Just to be completely clear, I didn't get that vibe from you at all. I've seen many people try to pass themselves off as something that they're not and got blasted for it. I think it's awesome you're repping from Ireland. I want to visit someday.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Elite Combat Sports Center
    Keith, I feel where you are coming from. My nearest bjj school is an hour and 15 minutes away and the nearest moon to me is about 5 hours away. Up until recently my only exposure to 10p was jiu jitsu unleashed and YouTube videos. I'm new to this forum and loving the MTS series.

Is the online belt grading official yet. I've seen a couple posts that listed different video requirements. I would love to be legit 10p someday.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast